Part Number Suffixes

I'm using a TI part, TPS79301DBVR which is hard to get. I've been asked about parts TPS79301DBVREP, TPS79301DBVRQ1 and TPS79301DBVRG4Q1. I know the G4 and Q1 are not so important, G4 indicating a RoHS part with "Green" whatever that means. But I can't find what EP means.

The TI web page refers to this as an "Enhanced Product", but it's not clear to me what that means. They list with the product features...

Controlled Baseline One Assembly/Test Site, One Fabrication Site Enhanced Diminishing Manufacturing Sources (DMS) Support Enhanced Product-Change Notification Qualification Pedigree(1)

Does any of this mean something to you? Is it safe to assume the part itself is the same?

Reply to
Rick C

This is sometimes an indication of 'exposed pad' variant in the package.

DBV is normally a 5-pin sot23 (SOT753) - not a usual candidate for an exposed pody terminal on the SMD interface - and no indication of this on SMD land pattern drawing.

R indicates reel type (3000).

The data sheet fot these part numbers (with EP suffix) claim: "Component qualification in accordance with JEDEC and industry standards to ensure reliable operation over specified temperature range."

This isn't something you'd normally expect to see, without actually claiming JEDEC.

A Q1 suffix is automotive AQL.

They are marked differently to indicate the difference

TPS79301DBVR - PGVI TPS79301DBVRQ1 - PGV1 TPS79301DBVREP - PGVE

The difference between I and 1 might go un-noticed, and was usually avoided by semiconductor designers/fabricators with basic pre-computerized industrial experience in the western hemisphere.

RL RL

Reply to
legg

You also might like to check out TPS730xx series, as it closely duplicates TPS793xx and predates the latter's part numbering explosion by some years.

RL

Reply to
legg

TI has confirmed the four part numbers are functionally equivalent and should work in my design. I also found the TPS79201DBVR which seems to be the same part but only rated for 100 mA vs. 200 mA and 20,000 in stock. So I think we've found a winner!

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Rick C

Anything with extended AQL may suffer from elevated ticket price, prolonged shelf age or lead-time and reduced availability - all at the same time.

To play it safe, I usually spec whatever is actually selling in quantity and test/sample multiple part replacements with the same pinout from different mfrs. A 100mA LDO wENA and overtemperature protection should be jellybean status by now, despite mfr obfuscation.

RL

Reply to
legg

Un bel giorno Rick C digitò:

Usually it just means extended temperature ranges, along with some other additional quality assurance BS. It is useful for military applications where a -55 C operating temperature is needed. Of course it is not like a "proper" military part with screening, MIL-PRF-38534 compliance and everything else, but it may be a (waaaay) cheaper, faster solution if your customer plays ball. :)

Reply to
dalai lamah