Another $300M Down the Drain at DoD

I get a report from SS yearly showing what I have paid in, with an estimate of what my monthly benefit would be if I retired at 62, 65, and 70 yrs old. I would be surprised if you don't get the same.

I would be very surprised if anyone got back their money in two years.

There are two ways to think about the contributions to SS; the money you pay in, and the money your employer pays in. Some would say it is all your money, because of the financial problems with SS and the need for cutbacks, I am willing to say, credit me with what I paid in and start the cutbacks with employer money. If that argument can be made convincingly the cutbacks may be easier politically.

10 time is way to high. I agree, at some point it becomes welfare.

I think that is really stretching things.

That is true of unemployment insurance premiums, (there may be a difference between firings and layoffs) Social security is fixed at 6.2%, for now.

I have calculated my numbers. If I retire at 62, I will get both halves of the payments back in 8.7 years. If I retire at 65 it will take 7.1 years. Actuarial tables say on average I will live till I'm 80, so I'll collect for 18 yrs or 15 yrs, depending on when I retire. These numbers use the estimates on my Social Security Statement. If I retire at 65 I expect to have paid in $138,000 by me and my employer. I would consider myself to have a lower middle class income. I don't know how lifetime earnings affect time to recoup, doesn't seem like it should matter. Don't forget there should be some interest earned on the money beginning in the early seventies.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

[...] [$368 to $489]

That's still not a free market when the provider's price varies with the insurer and depends on the insurer's permission, but it's getting closer. At least somebody--everybody here actually--is looking into the actual cost of things. Usually no one asks or cares. That's refreshing.

Such a policy is now illegal under Obamacare, starting in 2013 IIRC. Congratulations, you're a criminal.

You did an excellent job shopping. If everyone did that, doctors and medicine would cost half.

Thanks for the stories--that was a lot of typing.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

urces

Also, unlike SS, an actual retirement plan would have to save up your money, invest it at some return, and guarantee to give you back some sort of highly regulated, fully disclosed benefit.

Real retirement plans regulated by the gov't aren't allowed to use 82% (*) of every premium to pay someone else's retirement, or to readjust the CPI ex post facto to reduce your benefit.

(*) That's the 54-year average, calculated by my bro from the SSA.gov trust fund tables.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

it.

=A0 =A0 Dan

/watch?v=3D0E8EYTyACQk

Awesome.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

In case you need to visit your local SS office I recently received a notice that local SS offices will start closing to the public 30 minutes early on August 15th, in an attempt to reduce overtime costs.

Michael A. Terrell

In the meantime the Navy was short of oilers, and had to refuel ships like the Cole in places like Yemen.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Do you happen to know what their hours will be in 2017? :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Assuming what time-value of money? You'll be depressed if you look at the real numbers.

At the low end, perhaps. If you're really a geezer, certainly. The curve is highly nonlinear.

That's certainly what the Democrats want it to be.

Legally, morally, and actually, yes.

The employee earns both ends.

No. You're confusing Unemployment Insurance (UI) and Social Security (FICA).

Reply to
krw

9:00AM and they'll be open all the way though the morning break, at 9:01AM. ...just like all public offices.
Reply to
krw

Copy Chile.

krw

You should get a statement from the SSA.

It will show all of your payment quarters.

If you didn't pay in $2k a month, you will reach your actual amount pretty quickly, since $2k a month is about average for payouts.

You're a goddamned retard to call it welfare too.

The money you pay in gets invested and grows. THAT is why more can be paid out than is taken in.

You MUST be a gang boy retard punk to have gone through your entire pathetic life, and still be making shit up as you go along.

You need brain welfare, you putz!

You are also completely in the dark (no surprise)about FICA AND employment compensation payments made by employers.

You should examine a loaded and cocked gun, and investigate the working parts, while the barrel is pointed at your head.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Why should I? I get a lot of e-mail related to Veteran's issues and it was sent to inform those with problems getting around that the offices were closing earlier. Do you have a problem with people trying to help our Veterans? If so, you don't want to read my blog for local Veterans.

Michael A. Terrell

I've had no problem contacting the SS office by phone and getting the information I need. They encourage you to do what you can by telephone.

Michael A. Terrell

Every day they do less and less and want more and more. It's the natural state of the universe when there is no predator. In 2017...

Reply to
krw

So

sources

Actually, SS is a voluntary system to some extent. I know a guy that always worked on contract and inflated the cost of materials and reduced the labor so that most all profits were sales of materials. He never paid much FICA but probably regrets it now with a lower SS benefit.

Sometimes it pays to play the game.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

I am more interested in seeing the outcome of the retirement funds having become a major (to sometimes majority) stockholder in "everything". That should produce some interesting economic dislocations/distortions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That's why personal pensions are the only way to go for something as large as the US.

Reply to
krw

from;

You make the mistake of believing that SS is a good "investment".

Reply to
krw

Social Security Tax stops being charged at $106,000 that is a maximum payment of $1,113.00 per month (both sides). Your $2k a month assumes payments to $190,000, this is wrong.

you will reach your actual amount

The payout on average is around $,1200.00.

If it is your contention as you say above that "you will reach your actual amount pretty quickly" Then after you collect your payments and interest, it is welfare!

It is invested poorly.

From your comments you made above, this must be a self diagnosis. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I don't get that Bill, All of the money I earn are profits on sale of material, I have zero labor charges, how does that avoid FICA? Mikek

Reply to
amdx