A DoD design contract?

A PSU design challenge here

maybe CircuitCellar could do it as a project

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"martin griffith"

** It is nothing of the sort - d*****ad.

The DOD details are here:

Looks like a devious way to get a military grade, wearable *fuel cell* battery pack designed and prototyped on the cheap.

Get the Chinese to mass produce them for $50 a pop later .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Anyone who can squeeze 185kWHr capacity into 4kg deserves to win $1M.

--
John B
Reply to

Mine went right to it.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I think Telefonica is blocked by some sites, loads of spam generators used to use telefonica, but I got through using Tor, via germany, eventually

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

They should just tote a little generator and snitch truck fuel. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No problem at all. They don't state in the requirements if the subject carrying the PSU is expected to survive acute radiation poisoning following the 96 hour period.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard disclaimers apply. All rights reserved. No user serviceable components inside. Contents under pressure; do not incinerate. Always wear adequate eye protection. Do not mold, findle or sputilate.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Never mind. I found the bit about 'no radio-isotopes'. Damn spoil-sports.

The system energy density they want suggests either some really exotic battery chemistries or a fuel cell plus a small recargable cell to provide short term peaking power. They are looking at about 1.8E6 Joules/Kg for the system. Lithium-ion batteries (alone) run around 4E5 Joules/Kg if I'm not mistaken. I didn't see anything about noise. Just rig up a little generator using a model airplane engine and some rechargable batteries to ride through peak loads, submerged operation, etc. The spec's didn't say the wearer had to be sane after the end of the test either. ;-)

Broken pipe. Command flooded basement.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"John B"

** The DOD spec is for 20 watts for 96 hours = 1.92 kWH.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Then they should win 1.92/185 * $1M = $10.4k bucks.

Reply to
Winfield

Ah, Mea Culpa. I failed to look at the DoD spec and interpreted the magazine article as 1920W/hr for 96 hours. A little bit different from reality.

--
John B
Reply to

And not only that, but with an engine, the load would get lighter as fuel is burned. :-) ISTR seeing a little Honda 1KW about the size of a football, once.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Seriously, I gave the requirements a quick scan and didn't see anything definite about the wearer's comfort. I don't seriously think anyone will be proposing a reciprocating engine. But some fuel cell technologies can get pretty warm in operation. The temperatures may not reach harmful levels, but I don't want to lug a heating pad around the Iranian* desert for 96 hours. In fact, one parameter of interest to the DoD seems to be how thick the unit is, suggesting that this will be warn against a soldier's body.

*Of course I'm kidding about this possibility. Bush will have us in Iran long before this power pack is put into production.
Great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,
small minds discuss people.
Reply to