Stratix open-drain pins

Hi,

Anyone know if I can configure the output pins of a Stratix FPGA to be open-drain?

I need open-drain outputs to interface with an SMBus slave device.

Thanks, Ernie

Reply to
ernie

I'm no expert in stratix but I guess you can model the output buffer with :

OE ------, |\_____ Out IN ----|/

Just tie IN to GND and use OE as you command signal.

my_od_out

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

=_NextPart_000_000D_01C581AB.EC351660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Yes, the Stratix device can. You can also put a weak-pull up on the = output pin if you wish.

Open-Drain Output

Stratix devices provide an optional open-drain (equivalent to an = opencollector)

output for each I/O pin. This open-drain output enables the

device to provide system-level control signals (e.g., interrupt and = writeenable

signals) that can be asserted by any of several devices.

=20

Reply to
Rob

Thanks Rob.

How do I tell Quartus that I want a specific pin to be open drain? Do I have to do something special? Or is it automatic and transparent to the user?

Thanks, Ernie

Reply to
ernie

It will be inferred automatically from the code if you write it as Sylvain suggested.

my_od_out

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Thanks Mike,