AN: Debounce Switches

You have to admit that was a pretty lame brain idea. I thought it was just a joke of how many circuits were being posted about saving a resistor or equivalent or I would have said something. What were you thinking?

--

Rick
Reply to

Ideas are like that, they have a high failure rate.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ar

"The road to wisdom? Well it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less."

-Peit Hein

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

To err is human. Back in my youth, BC, before computers, I probably threw away more design attempts than I kept... on paper. I used to sit on the couch in the living room, doodle on paper, then wad up and throw over my shoulder into the dining room... our 2-year old daughter (now 53 :-) exclaiming, "Mommy! Daddy is throwing paper on the floor again!"

But there are those here who err and then pompously obfuscate >:-} ...Jim Thompson

That's something I loved, and hopefully have passed onto my daughter. I always had a "soft spot" for Piet Hein.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would hate to ever stop making mistakes, to stop taking risks, to have no more ideas, to do engineering by time-honored ritual. That would be like skiing and never crashing.

The crazy ideas need to be filtered and reviewed before the PC board is released, of course. The mistakes should be quarantined to the early stages of a design.

(I crashed 7 times in my last two days of skiing. I was doing the black stuff with a Swedish guy half my age.)

lunatic fringe electronics

No, it's better to err more and more. Ideas can be filtered for feasibility, but only after you have some.

lunatic fringe electronics

Really? I'm not sure how it was formed without knowing it wouldn't work. I have no idea how it made it to a post. If anyone had seriously suggested this in a job I would seriously doubt his or her competence.

--

Rick
Reply to

Nice shapes:

lunatic fringe electronics

All debounce circuits using inverter/buffers with switches are just variations of classic CMOS latches/flops, dating back nearly 50 years ago...

...Jim Thompson

Ah yes, the old maxim "if you don't fall down 5 times a day, you aren't trying hard enough.

Unfortunately, I've reached the stage where soft tissue snaps rather than stretches, so I took up gliding as something safer and that I could do every week.

Mind you, as someone that started skiing in leather walking boots, when safety bindings were optional extras, and you saw the blood bath in action at least twice a day, I still miss it. Oh well; "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You don't scribble circuits any more?

I used to

Who picked it up?

lunatic fringe electronics

At my age, 2 or three is enough to prove the point. I tweaked one shoulder in a good crash. Interestingly, the only motion that doesn't hurt is poling.

I've been meaning to try that. There are apparently some good updrafts near the Sierra peak.

Rigid plastic boots and modern bindings are really good; horrible spiral fractures are rare now. And properly fitted boots are comfortable all day. I think I need to crank up my settings; two dramatic crashes were binding releases, just from sheer force applied.

There are a lot of snowboard injuries. Their boots don't release, don't need to, and they break a lot of wrists and collarbones. I tried boarding for a couple of days and didn't get it.

lunatic fringe electronics

Z'n naam is klein, z'n dade benne groot.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Try it before it is too late. Going solo is about as difficult as learning to drive a car - and much much more fun. Before going solo, you ought to repeatedly demonstrate some aerobatics where the a/c "departs from controlled flight", and ought to learn how to fly close to other a/c in thermals. And, like electronics, you never stop learning.

Oh, /ankle/ breaks are much reduced, because the forces are transmitted to the soft tissues in the knees (a.k.a. "God's mistake"). Bones mend (usually) soft tissues don't mend (usually).

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Of course I do, just not on the living room couch... in my office or on the patio. I shred probably 30 pages of paper a week... after I enter the good stuff into PSpice.

I'm an inveterate noodler/doodler... it's rare when I don't have a quadrille pad in-hand.

When I don't have a specific problem I make something up... thus I now have an "OpAmpCore" Spice model where I enter coefficients from a spreadsheet and match every nuisance/specification. I even have one for those devices that have external compensation capacitors and fake the external node potentials of the physical device ;-)

I did :-[ ...Jim Thompson

What DOESN'T aggravate him? :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

if real-world switches behaved as nicely as your simulated input, they wouldn't need to be debounced.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Everything aggravates him. Including himself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I remember doing a small lab. project involving a 6809 processor to debounce a button....

-- @~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang