OT: Microsoft Strikes Again

Microsoft Strikes Again...

Needed a re-boot this morning to install some updates, and half my "load-on-startup" utilities didn't.

Tracked it down to you now have to give full permissions for all users for those programs to start up when non-administrators are logging in. ...Jim Thompson

Never update critical machines.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

That leaves you vulnerable if the update fixed a security hole. Better to have a duplicate system for "practicing" the update. Of course, if your critical system isn't networked you can do as you suggest.

Reply to
Frank Miles

Also; airgap critical machines. Frankly, I lack the imagination for update security theater in the first place.

Oh dear.

Right. I make do with Kaspersky and/or Defender on the ones that are networked.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Stupid advice.

Never update critical machines without FIRST making a full volume image backup.

Then if things go awry, you can restore the thing to a point before it ever happend.

Call it "The Omega 13 Procedure".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Defender doesn't seem to play well with Symantec or Kaspersky - subtle WTF class problems that go away when Defender is turned off.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Its possible, but quite difficult, to avoid Win10 updates.

Even doing disk image backups does not help much, as soon as you go back on the net, Win10 tries to update itself again.

The real issue is the weird thinking that YOU may want to install a program and have it run without explicitly giving permission each time. Thats not security, its just plain stupid.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

I've just decided to NOT do ANY updates unless I run across a discussion that something is helpful. I'm happy with my configuration right now, at least as I've been able to patch Microshit's crap, so I'm standing free.

I also installed GWX Control Panel which blocks Win10 attempts. ...Jim Thompson

Those are not patches, dumbfuck... they are 'hacks' at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm forever grateful for not needing to deal with MS's crap any more. I see so many people get so much grief over it. I feel smug!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah, but you fail to take advantage of the benefits of Microsoft's policy of selling a defective operating system and force feeding broken updates. I'm also in the computah service and consulting biz and derive income from fixing MS problems. If Microsoft had done it right, I would be out of business. In order to get first hand experience and to feel their pain, I run the same operating system and programs as my customers.

The problem is that I'm highly dependent on Microsoft eventually fixing the problems. Since 1981, I've watched DOS and Windoze version go through their respective life cycles. In general, it takes at least 18 months from public release for any new OS product to become sufficiently safe and mature to use. For MS, about 2 years is about right. Of course, MS is not interested in perfection as no sane user would want to change from something that works. So, the bugs and irritations tend to be pervasive and often permanent.

Windoze 10 has been in general circulation since the end of July 2015 or about 6 months ago. It will be at least another 1.5 years before Win 10 stabilizes to a usable level of mediocrity. Meanwhile, I can support my decadent and lavish lifestyle by doing damage control and comforting Win 10 victims with promises of patches and fixes to come. All things come to he who waits.

Unfortunately, the post Win 10 Version 1511 updates seem to break more things than they fix. After the most recent flood of updates, I'm seeing machines that refuse to boot, various Wi-Fi drivers failing, and formerly working programs hanging. MS has even managed to break custom management software created by OEMs to add value to their products. I'm seeing such instability problems on literally every laptop and desktop that crosses my bench.

Problems like these are typical of alpha level quality programming which is exactly what is being force fed to the unwilling victims, errr... users. MS is simply not doing any testing. They're using the user base to do live testing of alpha level quality programming, and using their "telemetry" to evaluate the results. If they see a problem, they force feed the user additional alpha level programming and again await telemetry to see what happened.

In addition, MS seems to be a big hurry to "upgrade" users to Win 10. This is probably because they are anxious to start charging for the use of Win 10, which will probably start after the free upgrade period ends in July 2016. As soon as that happens, the voluntary updates will cease as the unsuspecting masses suddenly discover what MS had been planning. Win 10 had better be working and stable by this time as few users are likely to pay for an unstable pile of bugs. Whether MS can accomplish in 1 year, what has previously taken 2 years is unknown. Methinks not.

The result of the rapid and constant changes is the worlds biggest perpetual beta test. Eventually, Win 10 may become a workable system, but only if users are willing to turn over control of their machines to Microsoft as have most Android, IOS, cable box, satellite box, and cable box users have done. Whether MS can pull off the same trick and if users are willing to accept such control is unknown. We shall soon see how that plays when MS eventually monetizes their investment in Win 10 and starts charging for the experience.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Mad!

The linux community is crazy too at times, but the scale of the craziness is tiny in comparison.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I mean Defender xor Kaspersky - not both on the same machine.

Do you perhaps mean both on machines on the same local network?

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Whom? Me, Microsoft, the victims of Win 10, or the entire world?

Not really. We have a local Linux users group at which I give talks at erratically. The Linux users are much the same as the typical Windoze users. However, when the developers, programmers, activists, alarmists, fanatics, crusaders, and evangalists arrive, everyone gets caught up in the hyseteria and acts rather crazy. Sanity is a fragile thing.

As for tiny, just check the user count. The Linux user base is still tiny compared to Windoze.

1.71% if you believe the web page. In a way, that's a good thing because those that use Linux have made a commitment while the typical Windoze user has simply taken the path of least resistance.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No. We have a bunch of mostly windows 7 pro machines where most users have administrative control. We have an enterprise version of Symantec on all machines. Most serious users don't install random crap but some like to add "features". Most are harmless. Windows Defender came up as an issue when things like slow or failed connects to intranet resources (sometimes in other countries), slow application starts and random lockups would come up.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

windows & many of its end users. I know some people need to tolerate it, but for it to have 98% of the marketplace is crazy.

What matters is what code comes out at the end of the day. That's where linux is mostly sane, and windows really not. I'm not worrying about people being a bit too fond of penguins.

the power of marketing!

I also took the path of least trouble. It's linux. The days when you needed to be a committed nerdgeek to get linux working are long gone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr