Amazon Taking Pre-Orders on Fire Phone

Has to be thru AT&T, some plans w/phone run up to $650, basic is $199, but you get a 12 month extension of Amazon Prime, so that makes it worth it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:19:09 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

It is just an amazon shopping basket. You do not need it. Least of all pay for it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

BUT....it is so _cool_!

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:19:09 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

It is just an amazon shopping basket. You do not need it. Least of all pay for it.

ON TOP OF THAT: Bezos works for NSA (does data center for them). So this phone comes with a direct link to them. probably has build in remote controlled explosives to disable you if you want to for example renovate the white house, or buy from somebody else than amazon. It will monitor your thoughts too I am sure, Watch you secretly via the build in 3 D cams, Listen to what happens around you. Location, acceleration, build in lie detector, auto-buy..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's only cool if Amazon delivers the merchandise by quadcopter:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oh! Oh! Oh! May I have one? (pant..pant)

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's easy to get your own quadcopter. Just wait for Amazon to start delivery and shoot one out of the sky. Never mind the merchandise, just keep the quadcopter.

I inherited 50% interest in one of these: At this time, it hasn't flown as I'm still doing damage control from the original owner. The problem is that the damage was caused by me destroying two brand new LIPO batteries by plugging them into a defective "balance" charger. The replacement charger and batteries just arrived, but I haven't had time to decode the charging and flying instructions. Maybe tomorrow as I'll need it to take aerial photos of ham radio Field Day next weekend.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

What the industry needs is an in-flight recharger....

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There are businesses already using quadcopter delivery service, lightweight stuff like flowers, the idea did not originate with Amazon.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Amazon Prime turns out to be a modest ripoff. The merchants who include "free"

2-day shipping charge more for stuff. And the "free" online movies are limited, and often teasers, like the first season of a show, where subsequent seasons are not free.

Precision electronic instrumentation

The affiliated marketplace sellers for all the big retail sites are full of ripoffs, so nothing new there. If the order is "fulfilled" by Amazon itself then it should be at least a modest bargain.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I've never seen its purpose (or the HorrorFright equivalent). Much of the merchandise has free shipping anyway. Even their normal ground ("slow") shipping is pretty quick.

Not necessarily. Stuff fulfilled by Amazon is usually priced pretty well and some large items have very good prices and shipping offers (hundreds of pounds shipped "free" to your door for the same price as a "local" sale). One always has to check prices and shipping costs. As always, caveat emptor.

Reply to
krw

No problem. Try a helium filled balloon to obtain neutral buoyancy. Maybe some water ballast to reduce load on the motors. Solar panels to recharge while "hovering".

Back of envelope guess(tm). The Amazon quadcopter could easily support about 0.3 sq-meter of solar panels. With 15% efficiency at about 800 watts/sq-meter, that would deliver 36 watts. My toy quadcopter uses an 11.1v 2.2A-hr LIPO battery or 24 watt-hrs for about

20 minutes flying time (without helium assist). Assuming 80% charge efficiency, it should charge from dead to full about: 0.8 * 24watt-hr / 36watt = 0.53 hrs So, it could do a 20 minute flight to deliver a package, hover on helium for 30 minutes (or less) while recharging, and then deliver another package. Probably a stretch in cloudy, foggy, or limited visibility, but still possible with amorphous cells that will charge in dim light. Wind might also be a problem, but if it could drop anchor and some ballast, it would become an aerostat while charging.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Anyone who watches serialized TV shows gets what they deserve...and quite a lot of movies for sale on Amazon are free on YouTube or other sites, depends on the genre :-)

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Treme' was excellent. And many of the BBC mysteries, especially the new Sherlock. Dito Deadwood. There is a little good TV.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Yeah, that was dumb. What they should have done is added drones to the list of critters that can be hunted and declare open season for the summer months. Like other animals, they could charge for tickets, licenses, and tags. They should probably limit the "bag" of drones to something reasonable to avoid extinction. The drone industry would love it because they could sell more drones. Manufacturers of personal ground to air missiles would also prosper. Skeet shooting using drones instead of clay pigeons could become an Olympic sport.

Typical government action; Instead of understanding the technology, they just ban it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

LOL- give it time, shooting down drones will become the new national pastime yet...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Careful what you ask for. The government might just tax it.

I keep forgetting that this is an enlightened age, where acts of violence, such as shooting down drones, is not universally acceptable. Fortunately, there is a somewhat acceptable electronic alternative. Simply setup a GPS pseudolite and convince all the drones that it's located at the local Amazon warehouse. When done with their deliveries, the drones will all land at your pseudolite, instead of the real warehouse. If you can't get enough signal from the ground because the drone GPS patch antenna is pointing upwards, just fly a drone with the pseudolite transmitter above the flying altitude of the Amazon drones. At that range, the power needed would be minimal and therefore not interfere with aviation and mapping software:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Would this be regarded as stealing if the drone comes voluntarily?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:50:25 +0800) it happened Reinhardt Behm wrote in :

It will all be over when the first drones start hitting people, or causing property damage, and GPS loss because of ultra high frequency switch modes interfering with 1,575,420,000 L1. Kids with bow and arrow with a string.... Spear fishing gear.... Heavy rain (no deliveries), snow, ice, location errors (GPS is no better than 10 meters), so package delivered to your neighbor (no I do not have that 100$ watch). WIND and STORM. Its a JOKE.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje