Alternate MAX ADC DAC parts?

Dave,

Just check the usual suspects: TI/BB, Analog Devices, National. I'd think that the pricing you quote is high by a factor of 5, roughly.

The old PCM56 audio dac and its clones are about $6.

John

Hello.. I've completed a prototype of a guitar effects box. After some refinements I hope to sell a couple of them. But the realities of my parts selection is only now hitting home, and I was wondering if any one could suggest cheaper alternatives.

$51.00 each - MAX195 serial 16bit ADC, 85ksps (16pin DIP) $41.00 each - MAX541 serial 16bit DAC in a (8pin DIP)

I don't have the money to buy in lots of 100+. I wish to keep rrp under $150 so it seems the above two chips is almost a third of that. :(

The alternate parts dont need to be Maxim, but I do need 16bit & 40ksps+

Thanks.

DaveC

DaveC

The MAX195 is a great part, but not cheap. It also requires pluss and minus power supplies, 2 caps on each rail for a total of 8 caps, an external reference, and the space on a PCB for all that crap -- Jesus H Christ.

Check out Linear Technology. You might also go to Digikey, type ADC into the search box and do a parmetric search to an ADC you can live with.

Jeff Stout

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Reply to
Jeff Stout

On 18 Mar 2005 18:49:46 -0600, DaveC wroth:

A 16 bit PWM output running at a clock rate of 640 KHz or better followed by a good low-pass filter should get the job done. A PIC and a handfull of analog parts would set you back 10 bucks or so.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

martin griffith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, 40-20KHz band width. My design directly connects the ADC to the DAC, kind of a audio variable sample rate converter, so they need to be matched on data format and digital interface. The user is provided with a pot that controls the clk rate.

I got the MAX195 and MAX541 because they would sample me a few parts. I need bipolar output on the DAC, but seeing as my design has an opamp at each end I could just add a 2.5 volt offset either way so single 5volt ADC DAC would be ok.

I was looking at some sample hold parts that would work given the above description, but I used the vref on the MAX195 to provide distortion.

Do you know of any ADC DAC combo chips.?

DaveC

DaveC

Newsgroups

checkout

(really an alesis company/offshoot) The AL1101 and AL1201 look pretty good, there are better products around, but they are simple to use, you just need wordclock.

The bitclock etc are all synthesised internally.So do you mind the extra resolution of 24bit? for about 5$

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

Newsgroups

For DACs, ones designed for digital audio are MUCH cheaper - around $5 in even fairly low quantities. You may have to play around with the data format a little & send dummy data for one of the stereo channels. Look at Burr-Brown (TI) and AKM, although the latter may be hard to get in smaller volume.

Digital audio oriented ADCs should also be cheaper.

You will almost certainly have to use SM packaging though.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

16 bits PWM 640Khz would imply a clock rate of 41GHz....!
Reply to
Mike Harrison