ADC/DAC

Any recommendations for a cheap combo chip, 12 bits min, for interfacing to a uP? Ideally I need single 5V rail supply and conversion rate of around 100K/s for the ADC

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Why not us a micro with built in ADC such as one of the Analog Devices microcontrollers

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

Largely because I need a CANBUS i/f, and that means PIC unless someone can point me to some extremely cheap ucontrollers with CANBUS and 12 ADC/DAC

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

point

If not, you could drop a MCP2515 SPICAN onto whichever micro you want.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

point

One reason for using the PIC is the wealth of free code available, probably unmatched by any other ucontroller.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

point

Certainly in quality. ;-)

But even if the drivers are a major factor, you may *still* find it cheaper to use two micros and relegate the 805x to just buffering the information to and from the ADC/DAC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

point

Why, just for once, can't I find the perfect part to do the job? Everything I've done for the last 25yrs has been a balancing act...

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I've

Eventually it catches up with you. You and your little dog too.

How about something like a dspic30F6011A, just add a DAC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've

Possible, but it seems a bit overkill, esp the pin count.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I've

30F4013 then, whatever. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Austria Microsystems has a series SPI based 12bit ADC.

JG

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

I've