Almost dumped the 4G Junk Flash

Let me know when they get big. A new version of FPGA design tools is some 5 GBs or more. And that's just one brand of tools.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, but at least they have the excuse that the video drivers have a lot of code and a lot of work to do. A network card needs perhaps 50 KB of actual driver code - the rest is padding. Video drivers may have downloads of ten times as much as they really need - that network driver was a couple of thousand times too big.

Reply to
David Brown

The real storage hog is multimedia files- 30-40G for just one movie in Blu-ray ISO form. A thousand or two of them starts to take up real space.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, but you are not downloading these, are you? Didn't you know that's evil, on a par with car-jacking or hijacking ships off the coast of Somalia at gunpoint?

Reply to
David Brown

Nonsense.

Oh, "many MB"!! Horrors! That may take a minute!

Kinda hard downloading drivers when you have none.

Reply to
krw

Tools are a bit different than drivers. If you're trying to run a business on a 1Mb link, you may be in trouble. You *are* nuts.

Reply to
krw

500MB on my tablet. If you're trying to pirate movies, perhaps you do need a bigger straw.
Reply to
krw

It is typically a few seconds on the line /I/ have, but it seems some people are still using dial-up modems.

Yes, that was the challenge. This particular case was a long time ago - I don't remember dates, but I do remember that I had to burn the driver onto a CD (downloading it from a different machine, obviously) to install it on the machine since USB the flash drives we had were too small.

Reply to
David Brown

I'm not that interested in watching movies, nor that obsessive to require every last bit of available resolution if I was.. but I do know people who are. I actually don't know how much (if any) is downloaded vs. ripping the original disks.

On a 14" notebook screen, HD is more than good enough if the audio is decent. The last dozen movies I've watched have all been in airplanes

8-(.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The issue at hand was 1Mb lines, not 14.4K. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I see I have seriously misread your post above. I thought you had written that 1 MB was enough /size/ for a downloadable driver - which is certainly what /should/ be the case for most drivers (graphics cards being an exception). Sorry for the confusion!

Yes, 1 Mb download speed is good enough for most driver downloads. Half an hour for a 200 MB driver download is a bit of a pain, but likely to be bearable.

Reply to
David Brown

True. But when I inserted something in addition to what the OP said about finding a 4GB flash drive in his mail, it wasn't about a leisurely download of something at one's own choice - like an updated driver or when one has damaged or misplaced the original disc.

It was about how nice it would be if manufacturers provided the drivers on flash drives instead of optical discs. Then someone suggested that they can always be downloaded. That's when the discussion veered to the problem of downloading hundreds or thousands of MBs at 100 KB/s or less.

Reply to
Pimpom