Modify Fax to Clear Memory of Junk

Hi, anybody experimented with a clear memory switch to get rid of unwanted junk faxes? My model is a Sharp UX-A255. I wonder if clearing the memory would could cause loss of any settings I programmed into the device.

thanks

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

I don't know the answer for your particular model type, but below is an explanation from when I was doing service on some of these FAX machines.

The answer is YES it will in some models. Some of these faxes use a lithium battery for the total memory. There are others that the lithium battery is only for the setup memory, and not for the message memory. If you open the machine, and look around, you should see a small battery about 1.5 cm in diameter. Removing this battery for a few minutes should make the user memory, and any fax pages become erased. This is model dependend.

Some models use a gold leaf capacitor that is soldered in, and this is not easily removable. Removing this, also makes taking a risk of damaging it, or having risks for other problems to come up.

The most basic type is the FAX machine that has no battery or capacitor to back up the memory. Just pulling the AC cord will do the job of erasing the message memory.

You may have to try out the different scenerios to know what works for your FAX machine. I personaly have a Panasonic FAX that looses all the message memory when it is unplugged from the AC line. There are pros and cons to this one. I have lost messages that were there, because it either jammed or ran out of paper, and on the same day there was a power bump. Since I do not want to loose any faxes, I put the machine on a UPS.

From what you are asking, I am under the impression you have a very big FAX Spam problem. I also have this type of problem. These FAX Spams can come in at any time of day or night. I am in a constant battle of chasing after the senders when I find them out.

--

Jerry G.
======

"mitch"  wrote in message
Hi, anybody experimented with a clear memory switch to get rid of
unwanted junk faxes?  My model is a Sharp UX-A255.
I wonder if clearing the memory would could cause loss of any settings I
programmed into the device.

thanks

Mitch
Reply to
Jerry G.

Mitch,

I have the same machine and same problem. I would be very interested and appreciative of knowing the answer, should you find one.

Thank you, Kev> I don't know the answer for your particular model type, but below is

an

machines.

lithium

battery is