DANBY air conditioners JUNK?

Just bought a brand new (DANBY DIPLOMAT) air conditioner model 5040, been running in highest cooling mode for hours cools very little, only works like a fan. (LOOKS LIKE I`LL BE RETURNING IT)anyone have experience with this company and model?

Reply to
spock

Do the coils get cool and the condenser get hot on the back? If not sounds like it leaked all of the refrigerant out.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

like

If you turn the thermostat to warm, then after 5 minutes back to cold do you hear the compressor cut in?

NSM

If this is one of those "portable" A/Cs, are you running the vent outside? What is its capacity and how large is your room? Do you hear the compressor running?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Did you use the window kit to mount the hoses?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The Danby DAC5040 has an EER of 9.8, which means it isn't a scam.

Travis Jordan

All it has is some vents on the top and silver tin back.The silver tin stuff on the back doesn`t get cold or warm just in between, no water drips anywhere.

Reply to
spock

Reply to
spock

Reply to
spock

There is no black hole inside the unit to send the waste heat. If you are cooling air, the heat coming out of it has to be going somewhere. There should be a hose or something to run outside if it isn't mounted in a window. The laws of physics can't be violated.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Reply to
spock

It's a 'normal' window mounted A/C for a double hung window. Can you tell if the compressor is running?

NSM

Hi!

It's my guess that your air conditioner is simply not working. Even if it weren't really big enough to do the job there should still be cool air coming out of the vents on the unit.

I'd say the most likely bet is that the sealed cooling system is defective or its contents have leaked out. Was the carton damaged in any way when you got the unit? Do you hear the compressor in the unit running at all, or is it just the fan? Does there appear to be damage to the coils on the outside?

I don't know much about the Danby brand, but I get the feeling that they simply put their name on the smaller appliances that they sell. Depending upon who made the unit, the products may or may not be any good. At this point I'd return the one that isn't working and try another of the same brand. Then, if you have bad luck with it...I would try a different brand.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Some of the larger Danby units are portable and have two hoses that come out the back (to bring in / exhaust the air that flows through the condenser part of the unit). I see where your unit is window mounted, so that doesn't apply to your installation.

I agree with the other posters that this particular unit is defective. I'd return it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The carton wasn`t damaged, but sometimes I can hear the motor changing speeds. slowing than speeding up. the coils on the back are not damaged. I guess the coolant leaked out before they put it in the box.(or it was never put in at all).

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:yf1re.51661$xm3.6601@attbi_s21...

Reply to
spock

In that case if the thermostat is turned to maximum cooling and there is no cool air, it is broken.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi!

never

It was probably a simple mistake on the part of the manufacturer then. I'd just box it up, take it back and try another of the same unit. The fact that a motor is speeding up and down inside it also doesn't sound like a good sign.

If you get another and find it to be acting the same way, I would suspect poor quality control or (more likely) a handful of defective units that were somehow shipped out. In that case you might want to contact Danby or the retailer and let them know what you have found.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

You can try it in the store. It only needs to run for a few seconds - that should be enough time for cold air to come out ther front and hot air out the back.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Actually, it may need to run for a few minutes. Some window A/C units I have seen made in the last several years have an initial on delay timer. This prevents start up of the compressor for a few minutes so the pressure can equalize after a short power outage. This is to prevent the compressor motor from burning up trying to start up into a stuck hard load of high pressure. The few minutes of compressor off time was all that was needed for the freon pressure to equalize.

I am guessing that if this was one of the ultra-el-cheapo units that it may not have the compressor timer delay protection. In which case, if there is a short power outage and the compressor tries to start against high pressure, the motor might be damaged.

Reply to
dkuhajda

You may be correct about there being some sort of additional delay on newer units.

But any A/C or fridge or other similar appliance I've seen always has a thermal overload protector (typically called a "Guardette" on the schematic) in series with the compressor motor mounted on the compressor shell to prevent damage to the compressor motor. And, the unit may be able to cycle on the overload protector for an extended period without damage. So, if it does try to start with excessive pressure, it might fail once or twice but will eventually succeed.

But, your mileage may vary. :)