Air Conditioning

Four things: Why not make smarter washers that auto prime? How about rerouting the water paths so that the sump gets used for the wash water? How about a one minute delay before adding the wash/rinse additives are added to the tub? How do you get intrinsically lazy people to wake up?

How do you fix stupid?

Reply to
tm

Vote it out of office.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There does seem to be a problem with HE clothes washers:-

Our HE Bosch dishwasher seems to have that problem too. It's very, very quiet, but it doesn't clean much better than the old one at the end of its life, despite having a second sprayer.

Only to be made worse by the pre-packaged detergent shots that will be used regardless of whether it's a full load of stinky post-camping laundry or just a few dainties.

Education? Mandatory labelling is one relatively non-intrusive way for government intervention to work. Mandatory standards are another.

I'd rather see a reduction in detergent consumption than a reduction in water consumption. The same amount of detergent in less water is just more concentrated stuff that has to be treated.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Two bucks worth of HE laundry detergent a month? I am not too worried about that. For that, we don't have to do the old Folgers can pre-mix, priming, and so on. Just put it in, hit start, do something else.

Ahm, you don't know my wife. If an irrigation pipe breaks somewhere she doesn't come into the office but heads straight past it and into the garage, gets the tool box and some plumbing stuff, then heads out to the yard. "So honey, what was wrong?" ... "Why, nothing".

But one has to pick the lucrative fights. You need an exceptionally high amount of dtergent but most people don't. So I rather spend the time researching much bigger savings. For example, I just found a solution to have DSLR photo quality _and_ be able to use all my old lenses _and_ save north of $300. That's different than saving $5 on laundry detergent.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nah. We have such a washer, use it just like we did with the old toploader, and it never smells.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

O-o-offisher, I only ... only ... tashted tap water, honeshtly!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. The contents of my beer glass in the evening evaporate real fast as well.

But none would be this delicious.

Well ...

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How long have you had it? This is *VERY* common. Even our agitatorless top-loader has the problem, though not as bad as most front-loaders.

Reply to
krw

wer

t air

in

ith

and

es,

One day I though about refrigerator and the AC... that's one of the funny engineering combination...

As the first one pumps the heat from the box into your house, the other, then to pump the heat from your house to your neighbor atmosphere

Reply to
halong

I have never had the problem, and neither has Joerg. It appears to affect a small random percentage of the users who may have some habit that makes their washer prone to developing the odor.

But it is apparently not confined to front load washers. It also occurs in top loaders:

"

"

I tried to find out if there is a particular brand that suffers most from the problem.

LG has an active forum with plenty of complaints:

Maytag also has problems:

So it doesn't seem to be a particular design problem with one product. It is across the board.

If the problem occurs, it appears you may have to try the various recommendations and see what works.

A lot of the recommendations on how to remove the odor are contradictory, unhelpful, or just plain wrong. So you have to use some common sense.

A product called Smelly Washer is often recommended to remove the smell:

"

"

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

As I explained previously, I use about 12.5ml for a full load. I generally do 4 full loads per day. That is 4 * 12.5 = 50ml of detergent per day.

A lot of women dump 100ml of detergent in the washer. Compared to these people, I get four times as much laundry done for half the amount of detergent. That is a factor of eight improvement.

And I don't use HE, which is far more expensive.

That is a single hit. My expense goes on daily and will last the rest of my life. So I am interested in minimizing the cost, time, labor, and all other factors involved.

They add up.

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Over a year now. In Europe we always had frontloaders, all our lives, because toploaders vanished in the early 60's over there. Nobody wanted to have them anymore.

Long story short, during roughly 30 years experience with frontloaders:

Stench from the machines: Never

Front seal leaks: None, zero.

There was the occasional bilge pump tear-down if it was clogged with button pieces, dog hair and all that. But that's routine stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Often this can be attributed to people ignoring simple facts of life such as this: One should never close off any area that has moisture in it. Washers, turned-off fridges and freezers, dish washers, ice chests, et cetera. If you do, yes, then a stench or even mold can develop. Just like it does in a bathroom if you seal it off after a hot shower.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In your case, yes. In our case, no. If we'd reduce our yearly detergent costs from $20 to $15 then I'd have to say the camera wins. Big time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Do you really think they're making the exact same washing machines in the US, today, as you were used to, thirty years ago, in Europe? Get real!

Apples and orangutans.

Your experience on another continent, thirty years ago, is useless, today.

Did I say *ANYTHING* about leaks?

Irrelevant as the rest of your post.

I guess I'm just dreaming about the thousands of people complaining about these things. Jeorg knows better than *everyone* else. Got it.

Reply to
krw

Your assumptions are false, your conclusions must be also.

BTW, there was never an issue, years back, closing a top-loader. Even your logic is false.

Reply to
krw

Apparently

The construction is largely similar. I do check those things out before I buys stuff.

Nope.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Agreed. Lower population dnsity.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I guess they like bending down over there...

;-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

No, they are not.

Nonsense. Toploaders do not completely seal at the lid, as abundantly evidences itself when someone accidentally overdoses the detergent.