Can evaporative air cooler be the alternative to the air conditioner?

My air conditioner has broken again. Honestly, I fed up with it. I clean it regularly, but nevertheless, it has broken again at the third time... Can this small evaporative air cooler be the alternative to the air conditioner? Or is it too small and better to buy the new air conditioner?

'[image:

'

RickiRick
Reply to
RickiRick

Evaporative coolers, AKA Swamp Coolers, are best in very dry climates. As y ou are aware, they operate by taking advantage of the phase-change of water going from a liquid to a gas - which has the unfortunate result of greatl y increasing the local humidity. Further to this, as the local humidity inc reases, the working efficiency of a swamp-cooler decreases.

So, depending on where you are and what you need to cool, that little devic e can be very effective (desert-dry conditions and using it as a cooling fa n), or it can be a major source of mold and mildew (anywhere in temperate o r tropical conditions, or used indoors. Its sole advantage is that it is fa r cheaper to operate and is far simpler than a conventional AC unit.

So, it depends. Here in south-central PA, a swamp-cooler would grow mold be fore my eyes. And we put tablets in our AC drain pans to prevent Legionnair es' disease.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

What kind of failures ? Heat pumps get bad reversing valves, compressors ge t bad valves period. If it is not installed properly that happens alot more . At best, before the system is filled, flushed and sealed it should be on a vacuum pump overnight.

If your problems are electrical that is much easier to deal with. Also, don 't brush and disturb those evaporator and condenser coils. If they clog up you either need filters or something to keep the gunk out, but if you have to clean them use compressed air.

Reply to
jurb6006

The problem is with clogged ac condensate drain. I know, it happens. But by me ir happens incredibly often

--
RickiRick
Reply to

I've had that with fridges, and solved it by putting copper wire down the drain tube & leaving it in place. It inhibits mould, and is easily wiggled to clear any blockage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are tablets for that. Clearly your maintenance program is sadly lacking.

We use these or-equal in our window units, and I have our service people use them in the much larger units for our practices. Never had a condensate drain clog in the last 20+ years where these were in use - and regular service was/is done.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Sounds like a not so good install. Could also be an air leak betwen the filter and the intake.

And, these things are not easy to really clean, the one here I would have to take the whole plenum apart. It did leak a couple years ago but seems to be alright now.

Of course make sure you have a good pitch on that drainpipe as well.

Reply to
jurb6006

You can even take out and put back-in the wire to clean it.

Reply to
bruce2bowser