Air Conditioning

of

Apparently

Yep, they're *NOTHING* alike.

Reply to
krw

Baloney.

It was never an issue. It *IS* now. Good grief, Joerg, READ!

Reply to
krw
[...]

I think switching will save a lot more than that. But why limit yourself to one lucky hit? Certainly you can handle more than one goal at a time.

You can easily have short-term goals for maximum profit, and long-term goals for minimum cost and minimal effect on the environment. Having one does not exclude the other.

Priming the washer costs only a few seconds. But it has a dramatic effect on the need for detergent.

As I explained to Speff, only one or two people doing will have zero overall effect. But if we could get a good percentage of the top- and front-loaders to do it, the demand for detergent would plummet. And the clothes come out much fresher with less detergent residue.

Once people see the advantages, they would pass it along to their friends.

Of course, the soap vendors would complain, and try to raise prices. But they are going to do that anyway.

Then you can switch brands, and get the cheapest detergent you can find. It will work great.

Since you will be doing laundry the rest of your life, it might be something to consider as a long-term goal.

Remember, most good ideas start small. If they are really good, they will grow on their own merit.

Why don't you give this one a chance?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

They don't like their shirt collars scuffed after 20 washes. But there's another reason: Houses and thus laundry rooms are smaller over there. So typically the washer and dryer are stack on top of each other. With a top loader that would present a wee problem :-)

Some machines are washer and dryer at the same time, it's just one machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I like the concept of washer/dryer in one. I've got a full size stack unit top loader for the washer, front load dryer.

Had it for 13 years now and reliable as all hell.

These top loading combos have been popular for over 30 years. They were made for apartment buildings.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is the model I have. Like I said, it's built to last.

machine.

I see them in thrift stores, still in good shape.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
[...] Joerg > Some machines are washer and dryer at Joerg > the same time, it's just one machine.

Why aren't those catching on?

Reply to
Greegor

Is there a reason that washers have never been designed to evacuate ALL of the water?

It doesn't seem like such a tough expectation.

Reply to
Greegor

-

ast the

time,

4 full loads of laundry per day, for the rest of your life? Do you have a medical condition causing that much or what?

I don't run that much laundry for my family in a week, but I use a fraction of what the soap makers recommend.

If cutting down on laundry soap truly would help municipal waste water processing, should soap companies be forced to put a warning label on their packages listing benchmark scores for performance vs. wastewater treatment burden?

I detest such government regulation but how else can we get the soap companies to stop encouraging overuse?

Could they be BILLED for the proven excess cost of wastewater treatment due to their encouragement of OVERUSE?

Even if it's just to make the point?

Reply to
Greegor

probably the cost of adding a check valve after the pump.

you can run the pump until the tub is dry but when you shut it off the water in the ascending drain pipe flows back into the pump and the tub drain.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Probably, like most "Swiss Army Knives", there are serious compromises when forcing two dissimilar appliances into the same footprint. It also (almost) doubles the laundry time. Unless space is a premium, these make little sense.

Reply to
krw

They are painfully expensive. Normally you can get a good washer plus dryer for under $1k. With such a combo device you could multiply that cost by at least a factor of 2-3.

Also, as Keith pointed out they are not so practical for families with lots of kids or a family that has to do the loads on weekends. Then you want to be able to move a finished load over to the dryer and start a new washer load right afterwards.

For busy couples they can be very practical though. This is because the job of having to move stuff from the washer to the dryer is eliminated. You do not have to be home for that. So one could get home, throw the briefcases into the den, start a load, and then head out into town. When returning the laundry is all done and dry.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Unless the discharge hose is long enough and the capillar effect slurps it out.

But, I learned early on in my life that you are supposed to leave a washer door cracked and then there never was a small. The water probably dries out fast anyhow. Whenever I fixed, cleaned or replaced bilge pumps all I needed for removal was a very shallow pan. Sometimes when it was a tight spot I just threw a rag underneath and it caught all the drool when removing the pump. Maybe a shotglass or two worth of water, and pretty clean water. Not sure what's supposed to smell there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

there's

So

machine.

They are about US$1000-1200 new.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I like to take the stuff out of the dryer and hang them up right after it is finished.. it ends up less wrinkled. The dryer has a feature where it rotates intermittently until the clothes are dead cold but it's still not as good as taking them out when they're warm and hanging them up, especially if it's a load of collared shirts. All no/never-iron-- nobody irons much at our place, and certainly no starch.

The washer can sit for half or day or more before you need to worry about the clothes going skunky so they can wait until you know you'll be around for the next hour or so.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We had one for years, and really liked it, although the dryer could take forever on a load of towels. Then, we bought our first house, and shortly thereafter, the thing broke. Repair costs were almost as much as getting a new one, so bought a new one, with a gas dryer this time. Took even LONGER to dry, so we sent it back and got a pair of stand alone units.

But, the boss doesn't like front load washers. She feels that they don't get the clothes clean enough...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Mike, I know that you feel this works, but something bothers me. In most of the units I know, especially top washers, that water is pumped and filtered during the washing cycle to make sure that it is mixed thoroughly. In a top load unit, it is pumped in at the top and pumped out at the bottom. It might be different on a front load machine...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

My family had a front loader back in the '60s and my mom was happy when the front seal went bad at three years old.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell