ageing out of tech

ADI makes the only analog multipliers and the only DDS chips still around.

AD835 is neat. Z = X * Y, all scaled to 1 volt.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's been around for a while. We used one in 1989 - for locking an 800MHz VCO to a 50MHz crystal. It was the 50MHz phase detector.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The ones that let you avoid complex numbers aren't all that helpful.

And John Larkin doesn't understand them well enough to have any enthusiasm for winding his own, or getting them wound.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Digikey still has MPY634 from TI and HA-2556 from Renesas. The multiplier selection is kinda thin. (and spendy)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well that's certainly out of your perview.

Reply to
jurb6006

Or perhaps "purview".

We all have an obligation to persuade him towards better behaviour, but it is clearly a futile effort.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One of my pet fukups. I also use "alot". A lot could be a parking lot that only holds one car. On the other hand, alot means many or much.

If people don't like it fukum.

Reply to
jurb6006

From the course evaluations:

"It was a very comprehensive course--what wasn't covered in class was covered on the exam."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or where you need maximum dynamic range.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Airplanes still use hydraulic servos, although the trend is towards electrical actuators. Auto power steering is also a hydraulic servo. If the servo fails, it defaults to allowing a lot of applied force to still steer.

A little more abstractly, most power supplies are analog servos.

lunatic fringe electronics

:)

At uni, our 2nd year maths course was taught by someone from the maths faculty. The rubric on the front of the exam paper was "full marks can be obtained for answers to /about/ six questions".

Since it was the first time he had given the course, he didn't really know how much we would be able to pick up.

He was good, entertaining, conscientious, and sure as hell didn't patronise us. He simply cantered through us everything he guessed we might need, except for the applied stuff he knew was being covered in other courses (e.g. Fourier Transforms).

A maths student looked at the syllabus and noted it covered most of /their/ syllabus.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They're switching over to electric, which I think is a bad move. Got it the hard way o one, a 2004 Ecotec cylinder head. Had a geared power steering p ump that engaged one of the camshafts. The replacement head didn't have the mounting hole. Called it every name in the book and just to be MFs we reus ed the new bolts.

I don't like the idea, one shorted transistor and what happens ? In the hyd raulic system it is failsafe, you would have to clog up one of two valves t hat are actuated by force on the steering wheel. Almost impossible.

How many shorted transistors are out there ?

Reply to
jurb6006

covered on the exam"

That sounds just wunderful.

Reply to
jurb6006

Automotive electric power steering units still have a mechanical connection from the steering wheel to the steering gear. They're essentially torque amplifiers. Hydraulic units are similar. Either way, without electricity or hydraulics, you're driving a bus.

Reply to
krw