A Product Design Invitation

Liar. The moderation policy of misc.business.product-dev is that moderators should not alter posts other than adding headers or comments that are clearly labeled as additions. Your post might be rejected, but it will never be edited in any way.

Here are some examples of existing (and acceptable) moderator commenting practices:

If you post to alt.humor.best-of-usenet, you will see that this has been added to the bottom of every post:

-- Moderators accept or reject articles based solely on the criteria posted in the Frequently Asked Questions. Article content is the responsibility of the submitter. Submit articles to snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu. To write to the moderators, send mail to snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu.

If you post to comp.std.c++, you might see something like this at the top of your post:

===================================== MODERATOR'S COMMENT:

I'm approving this article, since it and the rest of the thread grew out of an on-topic discussion, but this whole thread has drifted very far from C++ standardization.

===================================== END OF MODERATOR'S COMMENT

If you post to comp.dcom.telecom, you might see something like this at the top of your post:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Mr. Wilber gets in a discussion with Jack Decker, moderator of VOIP News. References in the following to 'moderator' are referring to Jack Decker. PAT]

If you post to soc.religion.christian, you might find "[plus moderator's comment]" added to the subject line and a few hundred lines added to the bottom of your post marked only with "[" and "--clh]" (I would mark the comments more clearly and would put long comments in a reply if I was the moderator).

If you post to rec.sport.pro-wrestling.moderated, you might see something like this at the bottom of your post:

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:

WCW's booking committee barely has the attention span to book a three-hour Nitro, let alone a six-month angle. - Scott.

Scott Keith, moderator rec.sport.pro-wrestling.moderated and all-knowing keeper of the Pro Wrestling FAQ. Official Wrestling FAQ URL:

Official Netcop Rant URL:

My policy is in keeping with that of other moderators.

Reply to
Guy Macon

...and you are predicting the future of a newsgroup that is just starting -- how?

Reply to
Guy Macon

He also set a Follow-Up-to dev.null in a message to you, Bob. If you had replied to that msg your reply would have been thrown in the waste bin in your own computer, and would never have been published in the newsgroup. It could have locked up your computer or caused some strange problem.

Such dirty tricks do we not expect, and especially not from somebody who thinks he is qualified to be a moderator.

We have to keep an eye on the headers as long as he is around.

If he tries to crosspost messages between his moderated group and free newsgroups...

--
 Roger J.
Reply to

Drat! Copied one URL twice and discarded the third! :(

I will look it up again.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Nice bit of revisionism there, Bob. You posted something that was false and then, when called on it, morphed it into a claim that you posted something else that is true.

You wrote (direct quote):

"Ah, and when people cross-post to your group, and to these non-moderated groups, the messages that go to these non- moderated groups are intercepted, edited, and then allowed to continue by you."

Note the subtle switch from "are ... edited" (false) into "can be edited' (true).

Promises, promises.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Well of course! You *know* that Doc Brown always comes back!

(It was interesting seeing the reaction to that sig. I got one nice three-week consulting job from somene who looked at my web page because of it, but otherwise it was pretty ineffective.)

Reply to
Guy Macon

From Webster's:

EDIT: to alter, adapt, or refine.

APPEND: to add as a supplement or appendix.

I did not and will not alter, adapt, or refine any post. Adding a moderator's comment as a supplement or appendix is considered to be acceptable behavior from a moderator.

Examples:

[...]

I clearly remember someone who got problems with his computer or the newsreader program after being alt.dev.nulled, so to speak. I have seen that trick being applied a number of times, and sometimes it does not only cause despair and confusion for the person who tries to reply, which is probably what you intended.

--
 Roger J.
Reply to

Maybe we should vote him the moderator of dev.null.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I have a question: what would you call someone who fiddles with the headers, and attempts to hide it (as in making up a fictional sci.eIectronics.design).

The word "trusted moderator" does not come to my mind, for some reason.

Can't help being a technical smart-ass, eh? Like when you publicly "plonk" someone, but continue reading his posts anyway to see what his reaction was? Why would anyone post to a moderated group whose moderator acts like you have done here that last couple of days?

Prove that none will.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Actually he did it twice:

He is also pulling his posts from the google archives, so the evidence will soon be gone.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

You should try taking responsibility for where your posts go rather than letting other people control you. I believe that XanaNews makes the newsgroups line fully visible and fully editable. It is rather foolish to allow the person you are replying to to make the decisions as to where your reply is posted, and even more foolish to whine about the consequences of your bad choices.

Why is it that the folks who do the most flaming are the ones who always seem to make the technical blunders when they post? Is it because they are so consumed with flaming that they ave spent a lifetime being unable to learn?

I challenge you to name a single newsreader that will "lock up your computer" or "cause some strange problem" because of a followup set to alt.dev.null.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Thank you, master.

You started it. I thought perhaps you have some fans there.

Since you seem to be the master of logical fallacies, what is that one called, where you exaggerate a reasonable concern into foolishness?

And you should have asked for three.

Reply to
Richard Henry

(nothing worth quoting)

You are an excellent match for the following description:

"Usenet being what it is, if you participate in newsgroups at all over a period if time you have the possibility of attracting your own personal lunatic, who considers any disagreement a personal affront, and considers it their duty and obligation to "expose" the person they fixate on. It's kind of pathetic, but they can't quite seem to figure out why no one else sees their actions as heroic." -Richard Ward

Reply to
Guy Macon
[top-posted just to twist the knife and rub salt in it]

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:44:08 +0000, Guy Macon wrote: [some shit] Then I'm top posting:

So, in your little private troll of M. Borowski, why don't you refrain from polluting sci.electronics.design and take it to your own little personal newsgroup, You Who Are So Adamant About Excluding Off Topic Shit?

Jesus Loves You, Rich

--
Cheers!
Rich

By the power of observation?

--
The Pig Bladder from Uranus
Reply to

It took him 4 hours and 32 minutes to break his promise and comment further.

"In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade And he carries a reminder of every glove that laid him down Or cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame 'I am leaving, I am leaving', But the fighter still remains..."

-"The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel

Reply to
Guy Macon

Keep it up for just a little while more, Guy, and you will learn the meaning of "attack".

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

You can call it whatever you choose, but when someone accuses a newsgroup moderator of editing posts, the average reader (and the dictionary agrees) would interpret that as meaning some sort of nefarious altering of the words that person wrote, not as a standard moderator's comment of the kind that is used every day without objection in countless moderated newsgroups.

"Q: How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? A: Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Guy Macon

And the electronic design content is this post is where, exactly?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise