A Product Design Invitation

Well, you did edit a message to insert a little note at the bottom. Or did

"======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT: If the need is there, someone is going to meet it... :) "

Appear by itself?

being a Nazi, etc. is an excellent example

Have fun in your group. It takes hard work to get the critical mass needed, and there is a long way to go.

Reply to
Al Borowski

Correlation does not prove causation. You have no idea why that computer had problems. There are many causes of computer problems, and it is a fallacy to assume you know that X causes Y just because X happened after Y one time. This is assuming that the computer actually did have a problem; given the fact that you can't remember the name of the person, the kind of newsreader he used, or the nature of the "strange problem", it is reasonable to suspect that your memory may be wrong about other things.

There are sound technical reasons to doubt your story. Alt.dev.null has zero differences from any other moderated newsgroups that can be detected by your PC. All posts to moderated newsgroups go to isc.org the same way. Any newsreader that chokes on alt.dev.null would also choke on the other moderated newgroups.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Someone who is trying to teach you a lesson in being responsible for where your posts go rather than letting others control where they go? Someday you will thank me for this valuable lesson.

Speaking of which, why are you allowing your posts to go to alt.sex.fetish.jello? Is there something you aren't telling us?

Classic logical fallacy, shifting the burden of proof by asking someone to prove a negative.

I assert that posting with the string " snipped-for-privacy@home.com" in the from field will will "lock up your computer" or "cause some strange problem" with some computers. Now prove that it won't. I also assert that unicorns and Santa Claus exist. Prove that they don't.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Good thing I got my definition from the 2005 Merriam-Webster electronic Dictionary then.

You have never sent a post that was bit-for-bit identical to what you intended to be sent. Every one of yourv posts has added info such as

and

...so I guess that iinet.net.au is editing all your posts - according to your rather interesting definition of "edit."

Nope. Lincoln was right and you are wrong. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

Promises, promises.

Reply to
Guy Macon

BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaaaaa!

O Frabjous Day, Callooh, Callay!

-- Cheers! Rich ------ "Bridget O'Flaherty McHugh Held venal traffic with a gnu. Mistaking fore for aft one morn Impaled herself upon its horn. Moral: Those who seek high ends should shun our furred and feathered friends." [WTF? This isn't even a Limerick. WTF am I doing reformatting the stupid thing? And even as doggerel, it's not even a passable Burma Shave sign.]

Don't screw A Gnu, Or done With You. Burma Shave.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHhhhhaaaaaaa!!!

Reply to
Rich The Newsgroup Wacko

Thank you, Guy. I accept your apology in all seriousness. Please pay no attention to those little boys playing behind my various nyms.

In the spirit of good will, of course, I'll make an earnest effort to keep the Rich Grise persona focused on technical matters, unless the subject line is clearly marked 'OT:' or the thread has been extant for such a long time that even our Grand Masters are opining.

Deal?

Thought so. :-) I agree too. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

He chortled in his joy.

John

[some other stuff]

He's not laughing. He's terrified. I once[1] was where he is, psychologically/socially - Guy Macon is still a Nerd. The Classic Geek, who hasn't yet moved out of the dorm room, emotionally.

Lighten up! He's only a Nerd. And Nerds are not only about the most welcome people there are around s.e.d, but they're about the only people who would even be interested in lurking and/or participating at sci.electronics.design.

We're Grownups! We can take a little ribbing now and then! :-)

Yeah, yeah, covered that just recently.

Yup. There ya are. Need you say more? ;-P ;-P ;-P

Now _you're_ being petulant. Don't do that! (and BTW, FYI, there's no way he can stop some other person's post to an unmoderated newsgroup even if it _has_ been crossposted. What he _might_ be able to do is spoof some headers and do in-line editing, much like I'm doo\^H^Ho^Hing rith^H^Hght now. ;-J )

Hey! I've got an idea! Let's all go out and play "Hide-n-go f*ck yourself"!

You presume to speak for "everyone"? Can you name those for whom you speak? Thanks.

Bullshit! I'm having the time of my life! What are my options? Watch TeeVee? ;^J I'll not comment

OK! ;-D ;-D ;-D

--
Cheers!
Rich

[1] Yeah, about the first 24 years of my life. "one time" doesn't say
"for how long of a time?". Learning Electronics has side bennies. ;^J
[ Me, Too!]
[ No Comment.]
[ Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...]
[ Well, it _is_ both marked 'OT' _and_ I signed it, "The
Dreaded Libertarian". He (RTDL) needs to get out and play sometimes
too, expecially[sic] when the psycho PHB pops into my office and
hands me his pot dregs.]
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Actually, I kinda think that setting followups-to to, well, dev.null might be a little extremem - thank The Great Roulette Wheel In The Sky that it wasn't /dev/null! ;-) - but setting it to something like alt.null is actually kind of clever - it lets you get the last word in a thread, except for those who are astute enough to notice, _and_ who care to participate in the little sandbox pissing contest. O:-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

You slyly added that newsgroup yourself. The sequence of headers below shows it.

-------------------------------------------------------- This is the header of a post by RJ, notice the Newsgroups: and Message-ID: lines. From: "Roger Johansson" Subject: Re: A Product Design Invitation Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Message-ID: -------------------------------------------------------- This is the header of your reply to him, proved by the last entry in the References: lines..... and then the new newsgroup that YOU added.

From: Guy Macon Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,alt.sex.fetish.jello ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Subject: Re: A Product Design Invitation Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:38:52 +0000 Organization:

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Yeah, but it's kinda fun to watch when there's nothing on TeeVee.

Yeah, that's it.

Guh-hyuk!

--
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that hot babe to
ask me what my favorite planet is.

It could only happen to a Dozer.

--
The Pig Bladder from Uranus
Reply to

You know that the antismokerists will have you burned at the stake before they'll ever admit to that.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along, now.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Are you a witch/communist/terrorist/pervert/child molester/...?

No?

PROVE IT!!!!!

--
The Pig Bladder from Uranus
[there\'s really an alt.sex.fetish.jello?]

There really aren't that many that are _that_ annoying, and I admit I have the time to spare to go ahead and scan stuff and figure out if a thread is taking a direction I don't like, and just shift-click mark as read the rest of the thread, and go on to enjoy the rest of the day's posts. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My actual internal mental state is detached amusement.

Guilty as charged. (You, of course, defy catagorization) :)

You are incorrect. If someone crossposts between a moderated newsgroup and an unmoderated newsgroup, the moderator can approve or reject the post. That's how alt.dev.null works; it is simply a moderated newsgroup that rejects every post.

Emphasis on "Might be able to." Both are against my moderation policy. If someone posts something, they should be able to expect that their words not be altered. That's why the title is "moderator" and not "editor."

Another promise made, another promise soon to be broken.

Reply to
Guy Macon

True. I was unable to resist your troll bait. As you surmised, calling sombody a liar in public generally moves them to action, in this case giving you the high ground. Kudos! Well played...

On the other hand, I've seen enough flame wars to know that stating one won't post again could be capitalized upon in this way. I also knew I could trust you to try to rub my nose in it. This offered a perfect opportunity to exhibit how you would respond when under stress, and you performed perfectly! You clipped the content, and attempted to bash me on a silly side issue, without really addressing the main point.

On a side note, I changed the followup-to: line on this message to your new group, which appears to be a bit lacking in traffic. Hope it helps!

--
Best Regards,
  Bob Monsen

So where is the electronics content of this posting?

Reply to
Richard Henry

You are right. And he even appears to know what he is talking about on occasion, which is more than I can often say of myself.

No, he really is a troll. He lives under a bridge, and have you noticed that he only posts at night? Coincidence? I think not.

He was pushing my buttons. We've had a few exchanges in the past, and he appears to know how to make me angry. One needs extreme self-confidence to come off like Larkin and laugh at everything.

I was just pissed off at the underhanded way he offered up his clever scheme for controlling threads, without really explaining all of the ramifications, which he clearly knew, being a moderator of another group. On the other hand, perhaps he didn't understand the problems I and others would have with him being able to arbitrarily reject replies on an unmoderated newsgroup.

And, FYI, he CAN stop posts to unmoderated groups that are crossposted to his moderated group. Your newsserver sends any posts which are crossposted to a moderated group to the moderator of the first moderated group in the crossposting list. It's only when he OKs it, and appends his little trailer, that it goes out. That's what Larkin noticed. A reply to this group had his moderator tag appended. If he rejected it, it wouldn't have gone out. He admitted that:

+You crosspost to a moderated newsgroup, you take your chances. + +That being said, it is my moderation policy to never, ever +edit a post to a newsgroup I moderate, with "edit" meaning +"change something above the moderator's comment line. +I may reject the post, of course."

Nyuck. Thanks Rich. You are a giant amongst lesser men. (to quote charles shultz)

I was using the royal 'we' of course. Sorry, it's a habit that is hard to break.

Reply to
Bob Monsen

That's the point I am trying to get across. It is foolish to allow someone else to control where your posts go, and even more foolish to whine about the results of your own foolish decisions.

Reply to
Guy Macon