A letter from the army

On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:56:46 +0200) it happened Tauno Voipio snipped-for-privacy@notused.fi.invalid> wrote in <s2a54v$po4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

So did not get around to it yesterday, but his morning put one xpsa rtl-sdr spectrum analyzer on 1,350,000,000 Hz and an other one on 1,374,576,000 Hz. those seems to be the start and end space they use.

is about 4.5 MB, play with mplayer -fps 3 radar10_1,350,000,000_versus_1,374,576,000_Hz.mpeg or lower fps.

The top xpsa looks at a 2048 kHz wide band at 1,374,576,000 Hz and the lower one at a 2048 kHz wide band at 1,350,000,000 Hz

2048 kHz is the widest band I can look at, 2048000 sample rate for these rtl-sdr sticks, 4096000 it does not accept... ??

Recording is just screen capture with ffmpeg -f x11rab -s 1906x1070 -r 60 -i 0:0 -y radar.mpeg And then edited for length.

So may well be digital but for sure they are sending very complex signals.

Will think about it a bit....

Could listen to it on the radio, aha! I see how the modulation has changed during the sweep from the lowest to the highest frequency or during rotations.

But how does it sound, for example on an AM radio? # listen to the radar with rtl-sdr in AM mode (using alsa hw:1,0 change for your audio): rtl_fm -d 0 -f 1350000000 -M am -p 0.0 -s 24k | aplay -D hw:1,0 -t raw -r 24000 -f S16_LE -c 1 -

# to record the radar using AM demodulation as wave file: rtl_fm -d 0 -f 1350000000 -M am -p 0.0 -s 44.1k | sox -t raw -r 44.1k -e signed-integer -b 16 -c 1 - radar_am_sound.wav

# to make it into a shorter mp3 file: lame radar_am_sound.wav radar_am_sound.mp3

You can download it here:

Sounds like a bird! Quite a bit different from the 'woodpecker' Joerg was talking about.

Now we all know trained birds have been used in wars.... Pigeons Hawks... But so if you hear a bird (animal I mean ;-) on the radio beware, it may be a radar station.

The USB, WBFM and FM demodulation did not give such nice signals. I did notice the in hearing range AM sidebands in a previous post I think, but much of the modulation part may well be above human hearing range.

And digital? I think not now. But could be.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is like listening to SSB without the beat oscillator.

It is possible that the signal is digitally changed with the chirp-z transform. The pulses are far too long for basic radar ranging, but the transform makes a longer pulse that can be still accurately timed.

Reply to
Tauno Voipio