A letter from China

Got an email from China that some company in China wants to register these domain names: panteltje.asia panteltje.cn panteltje.com.cn panteltje.com.hk panteltje.com.tw panteltje.hk panteltje.in panteltje.net.cn panteltje.org.cn panteltje.tw

They also want to register 'panteltje' as a brand name.

One of rhe disadvantages of becoming famous I think.

I have immediately offered 'panteltje.com' for sale for 10,000 US $ :-)

So, they did not byte (yet), but who knows, maybe in the future. :-)

So, if you look for panteltje these days you will find my site. That may change in the future.

I think it was nice of the Chinese registration service to alert me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

domain names:

Will this 'nice' registration service also sell you the aforementioned domains?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The nice Chinese companies have lots of similarly nice companies who try the same thing with me every few months.....

Reply to
Dennis

domain names:

Yes, dumbfuck, and it has nothing to do with you.

That might be true, if you were.

Oh boy! What an idiot.

Like anyone would want to do that.

Yes. Hopefully, you'll croak.

Bwuahahahahahahhahaha! You're an even bigger joke than I thought you were an hour ago!

Reply to
Bart!

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:07:32 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

domain names:

Perhaps, but I can do that from godaddy to (I am registered there now), could just do a check for those domain.

You think if I beat them, I can ask 10,000 for each one ;-)? There is a law against that these days I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:20:10 +0800) it happened "Dennis" wrote in :

Aha, I see the plot :-) Well, in that case I wont hear from them again I suppose.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:23:18 -0700) it happened Bart! wrote in :

If you had a site it would have that FBI or DHS shield on it within a few hours, because of insults to humanity :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If I feel like it I sometimes play with them for a while to waste their time until I get pissed off.

Reply to
Dennis

My neighbours name is Bart, he's a d*****ad too.

Reply to
Dennis

You are truly stupid.

Reply to
Herbert John "Jackie" Gleaso

domain names:

Domain squatting can be reversed, but it costs >you< money.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've been dealing with Asia for too long-- when something seems too nice or too good a deal I look one or two chess moves ahead and see if the future that 'could be' involves substantial money flying out of my wallet to someone else..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:03:45 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

It is the same everywhere, somebody told me some years ago that he knew somebody who actually went to Nigeria to help some 'ex government official' get a million or so out of that country :-) Needless to say he did not get rich.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It wasn't long after we had internet access in this region that I first received one of those Nigerian emails. The amount invloved was US$60 million. Even with my limited internet experience at the time, I was worldly-wise enough to dismiss it immediately as a scam and was about to summarily delete it when something made me pause. It just so happened that one of my closest friends was the then Indian ambassador to an African country, and the mail claimed that my name had come up in a conversation with a high-ranking Indian diplomat during an international conference.

The pause didn't last long - several seconds - and I deleted the mail. The incident was good for a chuckle when my friend visited me a few months later.

Reply to
Pimpom

domain names:

around here telling someone that ask for your domain that you will sell it for a price would likely be used against you as a proof that you only have the domain to try and profit from selling it, and you will most likely be forced to hand it over

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

domain names:

Sure, but the process costs the legitimate owner money. It doesn't go to the squatter, but it does cost money, and likely legal fees on top.

BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

these domain names:

supposedly here you just fill out a complaint form and pay ~100$ if you are a commercial entity, ~30$ if private and then who gets the domain gets decided by 3 guys appointed by the minister of science.

but then of course both parties can choose to take the matter to court instead if they aren't happy with the outcome...

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

If someone is introducing a *new* brand, however, wouldn't the squatter still prevail?

I mean, it's one thing for someone to go off and squat on web sites with names the same as existing companies -- that sort of nonsense shouldn't be allowed -- but if someone strictly wants to speculate on what "cool-sounding" brands will be created in the future -- and squat on those web sites -- that's entirely legal, isn't it?

In Jan's case I think he has rock-solid prevailing position since he can demonstrate he's had the web site for years and clearly isn't a squatter.

What do they do over there with folks who register XXXsucks.com? (E.g., microsoftsucks.com) -- Clearly you're not squatting and it's pretty obvious XXXsucks.com isn't run by the folks at XXX, so I see no reason to prohibit that either. (In the U.S. here, many a new company will now also buy up XXXsucks.com and similar and just redirect it back to XXX.com.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Pefhany

these domain names:

That's pretty reasonable. I think it's around $2,500 here.. and if you have to go to court it starts to get expensive.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

till

as far as i understand not necessarily, if the squatter doesnt use the domain for something "real" and someone starts a company that uses the name they get the domain

i.e. the one who has the most useful need for the domain gets it, not the one who happens to buy it first

names

ing"

hat's

not here, the law was made to stop ISPs etc. from buying up thousands of domains just to have them parked waiting for someone to need them

there was some controversy here when some who had had a domain for years but never really used it for a webpage but only for a mail addresses lost the domain to a newly started IT company, though I think eventually he got it back and the company changed name when they realised it was a PR disaster

,

us

don't know haven't seen any cases, guess it wouldbe hard for XXX they need to use XXXsucks :) but then it could get messy when it might start to be about trademarks

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt