US Army replacing Win2k on Landwarrior system with Linux

---

The LW SI will have a single processor. The previous LW had a dual processor, which frequently malfunctioned. Other changes include a more simplified data bus and a Linux-based operating system, as opposed to Windows. Evidence shows that Linux is more stable. We are moving in general to where the Army is going, to Linux-based OS, said Gallop.

---

The fact that Windows 2000 was being used for a truly embedded application like this confused me. It is personally surprising to me that the US military is using Linux for this application. I suppose the numerous stories about the Navy putting Windows on everything created a "the US military is making a stupid decision to put Windows on everything" mindset in me.

I suppose I should have faith that smart contractors will use the tool that's best for the job, huh?

-- Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Reply to
Alex Pavloff