8TSSOP size standard in chaos now?

[...]

Antigua, for example.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Lol, as if engineers in a company of any size have any input into a decision about this. This is strictly between legal departments and

*every* lawyer knows this is a terrible thing to accept and a golden thing to get the other party to accept. Like a game of chicken, the one who flinches first loses.
--

Rick
Reply to

Sure they do. The engineer says to the R&D chief that he has identified a guy who could solve that pressing problem but it's not happening because legal hasn't ironed out the agreement. The R&D chief goes to the CEO, a mid-size earthquake happens and things start moving fast. BT, and not just once. The most remarkable case was where the president of the company finally said "Then I'll sign the consultant's agreement right now, DURN IT!", and he did.

I never flinch. I just wait until the legal department or external counsel gets taken out of the loop or I walk away. In a few cases I was able to talk sense into the legal folks but I found that's only possible in one-on-one conversations and not so much within larger meetings where people might have a strong tendency to "save face". Some of the lawyers were actually nice people once we had squared away the contractual stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, the one who needs help and still acts like an idiot loses. I've had to walk as many as *three times* in a single contract negotiation over stuff like this, and very occasionally have just kept walking.

The usual reason for keeping on walking is ITAR/EAR, however. I had to turn down an interesting gig with an Israeli firm because they had some involvement in thermal imaging, and the amount of compliance work required to make sure I stayed out of trouble was just too large.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's considered unethical for a lawyer to directly negotiate a contract with a non-lawyer.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Who ever heard of an ethical lawyer? Perry Mason was fictional. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've worked with quite a few over the years, and IME well over half are straight shooters. I've declined to work with some that I didn't have a good feeling about, but nearly all of the ones I've actually worked with are good people.

Cheers

Phil HObbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My wife said that she's going to move to the Caribbean if HillBilly get back in the White House. She can't stand listening to her. I was thinking more like Belize. ;-)

Reply to
krw

"All guaranties and warranties are void upon payment of invoice." ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yeah, that is terribly unfair to the lawyer.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

"Well over half"??? That's not much of a recommendation. Just like with auto mechanics you want, good, honest, cheap... pick two if you are lucky. The last time I used a lawyer was over a bounced check. The party I paid held the check so long (nearly five months) I forgot about it and took too much money out so when they cashed it the check bounced. They got all pissy so I got a lawyer to handle paying for the check. The *idiot* didn't get the bad check back!!!

--

Rick
Reply to

When people say bad things about other people that they don't know, it make s me less willing to trust them. On that basis, "more than half" is about o n a par with denizens of SED, or maybe a bit better.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's also not saying much... ;)

--

Rick
Reply to

re

ve a

th

akes me less willing to

ens of SED, or

Real honesty is rare and valuable. It's not to be confused with mere frankn ess, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Only if you aren't Frank.

--

Rick
Reply to

If Trump ends up running independent that's what might happen :-(

Isn't Belize more for the jet set and celebrities?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's happened more than once to me and I am not a lawyer. Never wanted to be one but I know about liability issues.

If they refuse to negotiate directly with someone supposedly "below their standing" I wold not call that straight shooter. To me that's almost the definition of a snob.

What happened in cases where "nearly" didn't apply?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's a violation of professional ethics. YCLIU.n

Mostly I had trouble getting paid, because they didn't care about me when they didn't need me anymore. It was only a couple out of more than a dozen cases. They both paid up eventually, but one firm went 120 days, and I had to threaten to call the client. They're now on the "evergreen retainer" list, in case I'm ever silly enough to work with them again.

One of the nice things about expert witness work is that you get to be an advocate for the facts, rather than for either side. As long as you know your stuff cold, that makes testimony a comparative breeze, except when it goes on for hours and hours and hours.

It's generally best to make sure that you've been paid in advance for trial testimony, so that in cross-examination you can say, "No, counselor, I have been paid in full, so neither the outcome of this case nor the content of my testimony can affect how much I get paid." (They always ask that.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I had some fun once, with the arrogant attorneys of an arrogant silicon valley VC firm. When we threatened to file over IP ownership, it would have munged their plans to take a startup public and cash out. We had them literally screaming on the phone. Fun. My lawyers enjoyed it too.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Seriously? They have a code of "ethics" that discourages talking professionally with "lower folks"?

If I exhibited such behavior my clients would fire me, and rightfully so. I did hear it about a European group though. They visited a company over here and a Ph.D. in that group did not want to discuss a technical problem with a technician even though he was the most competent in this matter. He insisted on discussing that with "Engineering". They then let that supplier go.

Yup, got to use a retainer that remains caught up with such folks.

Makes perfect sense. I try to stay on the design side of things though. More fun.