Again with an oops.

I semi-disabled the output of my opa2134 today. Output had right sign at rail, but not enough current.

Crappy ascii. |\ v-ref--|-\ don't zener base, diode | >--R_5k--+--|| (pnp 450V) |--gnd Gnd /| | | R 20k(?) +--+----+ | 12V zener Z | R 100 +-->FB ^ R 5k | | +--+ | R 1Meg | G | -HV------S________D--------+--->load N-FET

There are 1-10 nF caps on a bunch of the nodes and LND150s as current limits (HV in and load out.) I fryed my penultimate* nfet (more on order.)

One thing I was thinking is all my lnd150's are unipolar, (so when things go backwards it's easy) and bipolar might be better.

George H.

*using penultimate, makes life worth living. :^)
Reply to
George Herold

How much -HV voltage and current?

 Click to see the full signature

HV is ~180V in and ~100 V out at the moment. Currents are low, 1mA in and 100uA out.

The FET is only spec'd for 200V, I've got some ~500V parts on order. I blew it by f'ing around with the load. (not really sure.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

35mA typ capability.

Assuming your NFET can turn on at say 4V, why can't the opa2134 drive the 5k resistor to say 5 volts?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You could use my high-voltage optocoupler thing. Much simpler.

Variation on this:

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Right, I works fine... but f-ing around down stream I somehow fried the Nfet and then the output drive of the opamp. I'm not sure how. I need some more prophylactics.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

An LND150 in series with the source of the NFET might help.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oops, scratch all that. I blew out the zener? Not sure how. (well too much power obviously.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right I've got a few unipolar ones sprinkled around. I was thinking I should make 'em all bipolar. Cause I can afford the 0.6V drop and that gives me twice the protection... both ways.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about this?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Sure, (the more resistance the merrier) How do I choose the collector R and the source R? (I sometimes get the idea, that I should first start a design with ~100 ohms between every node, and then increase or decrease with need.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd start with some assumed maximum voltage across the source resistor, maybe 5 volts, to set the current limit. Add the mosfet Vgs-on voltage to get the drop across the gate resistor. Etc.

This circuit limits the mosfet s-g voltage (hence current) two ways, but that's safe and well controlled. There should be no way to blow out the gate no matter what the opamp does.

I should have labeled the parts.

Spice it and we can play with it.

I still like the HV optocoupler thing better. An opto-depletion fet cascode is cool for higher powers.

 Click to see the full signature

Scratch scratch... I'll have to sleep on it. I'm not sure where any voltage limit comes from... I've mostly been thinking of currents. So the opamp (+15) and 5k output R shoots 3mA max into everything above. (TBH I blew it up after I cranked up the positive supply to 25V... for a different part of the circuit, so I that's more current, I should have adjusted the R's.) I like the source resistor, say 1 k ohm, then my GS zener should be safe.

That sounds great. I'm using this to adjust the output voltage from

0 to -200V or so.

Ohh I don't think it was the opamp that blew the fet. After some other stuff, I'm back to playing around with my spad. I've flipped the whole thing over, voltage wise. I think I had a simple quench circuit working... with too large of a reset R.. And then I tried to make it smaller...

oops no workie.

I figure it started to oscillate but who knows? (Well I should have some idea in the future.)

So I think it was down stream of the nfet. But I could be wrong.

Hmm, I'm adding some source R, and bipolar lnd150 current limits and getting back to the fun/important part of the circuit.

I am interesting in making this part more bullet proof, so maybe sometime in the future.... if the final thing doesn't work, then it's silly to waste time here.

HV optocoupler, are you speaking of your circuit the opto-C leds in the power rails of an opamp. With the output driving HV fets.

I've always wanted to try that one.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My circuit doesn't need a zener. The resistor divider ratio limits gate voltage.

A voltage reg can be simpler. Just the one HV coupler. That eliminates all that level shifting and blowing out fet gates and stuff.

 Click to see the full signature

Sweet! milli-second speed is fine for this.

What's it like down near zero? (leds have a limited linear range, IR are better. I sound like a pirate :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold