4017 chip won't behave!

mods on it. After a great deal of fruitless searching my ISP has informed me they no longer provide access to alt.binaries hierarchy and couldn't or wouldn't give me a reason! The netlist is just ascii so could you post it here, perhaps?

--
Yes, but it uses different parts than those supplied with LTspice so
you couldn't see the schematic properly, or run it.

If you email me your email address I'll get the files to you that way.
Reply to
John Fields

her mods on it. After a great deal of fruitless searching my ISP has inform ed me they no longer provide access to alt.binaries hierarchy and couldn't or wouldn't give me a reason! The netlist is just ascii so could you post i t here, perhaps?

You're a gentleman, sir.

Reply to
orion.osiris

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

complicated? it is an 8pin part and a few lines of code

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

n.

hy I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circui t John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me .

Yes. Complicated for *my* modest needs. I don't require a Raspberry Pi or e ven a mere PIC for a 7 day timer!

Reply to
orion.osiris

ion.

why I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circ uit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

even a mere PIC for a 7 day timer!

guess there's different kinds of complicated there': a 50cent pic/avr etc. with everything including the oscillator in a 8 pin package and then there's a whole gaggle of logic ic's and some sort of oscillator

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

--
Actually, it's a little more complicated than that since to get the
timing exactly right, going that way, one needs to consider the

Have you considered that?
Reply to
John Fields

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

uP's are the "solution" to all problems... and generally also the failure mechanism. ...Jim Thompson

The solution for those who can't think through the actual circuit logic needed, to do it without a processor. As someone who has seen too much poorly designed crap with a PIC, I prefer a real design that can be repaired in a few years when the PIC of the week is NLA.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The closest I've come is a number of my chip designs now include a self-calibration procedure built-in. "Almosta" uP, but not quite :-) ...Jim Thompson

So divide it twice. 30,240,000 must have two factors that make the design simple. Choose one to be a large power of two for elegance and just brute force the other divider.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

You know quite well that the hardware complexity of a micro- controller solution has nothing in common with that of wired logic.

The hassle of installing the software, learning the chip's structure and language, getting to grips with flashing the thing, etc. is a good deal more involved than wiring a few CD4017s together. Of course, once you've mastered all that, the project becomes immensely easier and blows most slow discrete logic designs completely out of the water.

It's a hurdle, to be sure, but it's worth the investment.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

on.

why I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circu it John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for m e.

have you? where, in counting the number of timer ticks until you reach 7 days, does instruction time enter the equation?

you are concerned about the few nanonseconds it takes to set an output when the 7 days has passed?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

ion.

why I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circ uit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

so are transistors ic's etc. I don't see the difference

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

Do you now of a cheap usb pic programmer with linux support?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

microcrontrollers typically have internal counters. just set one of them at a suitable rate etc...

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

or maybe those who insist on gaggles of logic chips when a mcu is a better simpler cheaper solution is those who are too old to understand them

a processor isn't always the right solution but more and more often it is, and dismissing it as "not a real design" that is just stupid

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

on.

why I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circu it John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for m e.

I've not used pic

for AVR I build one of these:

on a veroboard and programmed it in an old computer with parallelport

but you can get one based on the same design all over the place for a few $

it should work out of the box on linux, Mac and with libusb on Win

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

Why wait a week for the auction to end when you can BIN for $3.42 US?

Michael A. Terrell

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

PICkit 2 or 3 has Linux support, depending on what exactly you need- IDE/debugger, command-line programmer etc. The genuine ones are $45 at Digikey, clones of the PICkit 2 are available starting at $10 or so. Supports a wide range of uChip chips.

Lots of different chips in the $0.50-$2 range in small quantities.. and many of them include usable power-on reset circuits and other useful peripherals.

It used to cost the equivalent of six month's salary for an engineer to get a crappy pokey emulator- now you can do it for a few minutes worth of time.. and the tools are infinitely better.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I'd like to stick to something close to the original concept. The circuit John Fields posted, if it can be fixed-up, would be close to ideal for me.

--
Just as I thought...
Reply to