$40 for HDTV converter boxes

Joerg and others might find the last paragraph on this page interesting:

...it seems that there's been a program funded that'll give you a $40 voucer to help pay for your ATSC->NTSC converter box, with households able to request up to two such vouchers.

There are converter boxes now available for

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

interesting:

seems that there's

I also need a voucher for electricity. These boxes use 30W to 40W all the time, even when we are sleeping. There is no way to put it in standby, and it takes forever to reboot if unplugged.

Reply to
linnix

I haven't seen anything on shelves here. Sometimes I walk over to the electronics aisle, especially when my wife can't stand my "Are we done shopping now?" look.

Here's hoping that multipath doesn't render this whole area a digital wasteland. I guess nobody cares to test. All I know is that if it doesn't work there will be some phone lines starting to glow. You can take a lot away from the masses but not football and TV.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

interesting:

seems that there's

Really? Wow. And whom will they flog for such a clear case of technical incompetence?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

interesting:

that there's

Scientific Altanta for such design oversight, Cox cable for loading on-demand junks, and regulators sleeping on the job, I guess.

Reply to
linnix

been a program funded that'll give you a $40

request up to two such vouchers.

process that they'll be able to bring up a $39.99

electronics aisle, especially when my wife can't

wasteland. I guess nobody cares to test. All I know

You can take a lot away from the masses but not

Wallmart has a RCA VHS/DVD recorder w/ATSC receiver. $2xx I use a Happauge usb receiver, and it works well, I'm 50 miles east of the Empire State Building and get good recption with a

6' boom LPA and amp. Although there are some problems when there is a high moisture content in the air.

I really want to see some portables, to replace my little sony NTSC TV. But Rabbit ears arent going to work like with the

800mhz bands.

Martin Riddle

Too bad that one cannot get cash for those stupid vouchers...

Reply to
Robert Baer

You mean, overthrow the present dictatorship for something that more closely represents a (hush) democracy?

Reply to
Robert Baer

been a program funded that'll give you a $40

request up to two such vouchers.

process that they'll be able to bring up a $39.99

electronics aisle, especially when my wife can't

wasteland. I guess nobody cares to test. All I know

You can take a lot away from the masses but not

Empire State Building and get good recption with a

moisture content in the air.

Rabbit ears arent going to work like with the

Mouse ears?

Reply to
Robert Baer

interesting:

seems that there's

Put it on a clock so it turns on an hour before you need it. Works if you have a regular schedule. Works for me in my weekend house. ;-)

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

linnix wrote in news:1191541254.054314.52360@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

One of the specs that these "Voucher" boxes must adhere to is a low power standby mode.

In the real world, I doubt you'd find an actual basic level STB draw more than 20W running anyhow.

Reply to
Gary Tait

To save energy,we hv a 4.5W machine and with 'sleep' mode

Reply to
alanlmi

buy here with coupon sell to other countires use ATSC,you get cash

Reply to
alanlmi

It works great here in the land of multipath, the Pacific Northwest (hills, trees, low flying aircraft). I've got an HDTV set and a VHS/DVD recorder (both with ATSC tuner) and they work great with set top UHF loops.

Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,
but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

interesting:

seems that there's

Why do you say "Asian" ;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

After the analog turn off, there will be no OTA TV over 698 MHz

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

I have to wonder, what happens to the TV's without PLL tuners? They'll be able to tune throughought the band and some cheap ass public infastructure carrier will not protect their data streams.

This will be fun. Sort of like how UPS isn't using the segment of the

220MHz band they snatched from amateur radio since there are far too many transmitters out there capable of interfering.

Their data streams will be encrypted, I imagine, if they care.

I had heard it was also due to how cheap cell phones were becoming (and that coverage was becoming the vast majority of anywhere UPS was going anyway... save the VHF for the guys who really were driving out into the boonies).

Reply to
Joel Koltner