3D Circuitry

Why are circuits not layed in 3D to produce fast amounts of gates? If you take your average memory circuit such as SRAM and "layer" it as high as it is wide then you'll get a huge increase.

What is the difficulties in doing such things? I imagine heat dissipation would be a big problem but maybe one can add in "heat pipes" to carry the heat from the inner layers. If one has a matrix of 1000x1000 cells for a 1Mb memory then repeating that in the "z" dimension would give a 1Gb memory.(sure it would be square and bulky but thats not the point)

Now maybe they already do this to some degree but I've never seen it mentioned. Maybe it's difficult to layer the substraits together?

I was thinking that a true 3D method would be optimial for density reasons. If a potential solid substance could be created where one could apply a laser of difficult wave lengths to get different properties such as a conductor or semi-conductor then one might be able to make truely 3D circuits. Similar to 3D printing. The laser heats the material in such a way as to turn it into a conductor or semiconductor. It is built up in a continuous manner. Anyways... just an idea. Not saying it is practical but just the abstract idea would work.

But I don't even see devices that use true "layering" techniques. I do realize that in some sense standard semiconductor fabrication uses "layering" but they only have one substrate layer? If one could layer, say, fpga cores then they would become vastly more powerful.

Anyways, just something I was wondering about...

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

GM

Cool. While I don't consider that true 3D it is probably as close as we are going to get.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

A typical analog chip has _22_ mask steps... pretty much equivalent to "layers". ...Jim Thompson

  1. Cost. Each layer of transistors requires a separate wafer. Each wafer is an opportunity for yield loss. Each one requires through-silicon vias, which are also expensive. And getting all those gates connected to the outside world by way of a two-dimensional ball array requires a huge number of vias from upper layers. One of the limitations on skyscraper size is that eventually all the floor space is taken up by elevators. Same problem here.
  2. Cooling. It's hard enough cooling processors as it is. Memory isn't as bad, but it isn't 100 times easier. Many-layer sandwiches containing lots of oxide and low-K dielectric are a huge problem thermally.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs (who worked in packaging in a former life)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

With 3 layers of metal and 2 layers of poly, device density is already phenomenal. I have chip designs so complex it took a D-size sheet just to show the block diagram interconnect ;-)

"System on a chip" is for real. ...Jim Thompson

In recent processes, the gates are much faster than the wiring, so making the interconnects shorter is a big win, if you can afford it and cool it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The other perennial is wafer scale integration.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well...something like that is already being done in making CPUs, DRAMs and other high density products. A good reason why it is not carried a lot further, is that for every layer (mask) added, the yield goes down. Start with a simple (i think 4-5 masks) circuit like the uA709 whith a yield of 99.99 or so percent, and add another process (mask) at 99.99 percent. I leave it to the student to calculate X in the equation 0.900=(0.999^X). Do you really want to buy something with 90 percent (or less) reliability?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wasn't there a computer maker that bragged about WSI? And how long did they last before going under?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The last IC I worked on had ten levels of metal and a set of masks was north of 2$M. That was in 90nM and they're down to 40nM now (two full generations later). My last (and most likely next) product was on six layer FR4. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Cooling is the #1 reason. Memory could be stacked but the cost is against you there. Memory has to be *cheap*, even in expensive applications.

Reply to
krw

Gene Amdahl started Trilogy, which was supposed to build a WS system many moons ago. There was also WSI. ;-)

Couple of years (mid '80s). He folded shop on WSI and started building VAX clones. Some come down form building very successful IBM clones.

Reply to
krw

Memory stacking should not be too hard, say with one layer for each bit plane. The address, Chip select, R/W and power lines are in parallel, so arranging the vias or edge connectors should be easy. The only signals needing special handling is the data in/out pins.

Some hobbyists used to piggyback RAM memories in DIP packages, solder address etc. lines together and only wire wrap the data lines :-). I guess it had been easier to bend the DIP pins horizontally and then use some small vertical Vero-board strips to connect the address lines and then only wire wrap the data lines separately.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

IIRC he spent some $300m on the failed process, and that was a lot of money back then :-)

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Memory stacking is commonly done today, by stacking thinned chips and bonding them out separately. The wire bonds look like a fork full of spaghetti.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

1Mb

way

say,

I have occasionally gotten down to 180nm for analog (PLL's), but it's (and smaller feature sizes) really pretty crappy for decent analog functions... horrible channel-length modulation, and leaky :-( ...Jim Thompson

1Mb

reasons.

way

say,

Leaky, for sure. Particularly the 0Vt transistors. It is a bit mind-bending to realize that one can make precision voltage dividers out of gate tunneling currents. ;-)

Reply to
krw

IT's not hard, just expensive. Expensive isn't done much, which makes it much more expensive.

It wasn't just hobbyists. Stacked memory was a standard product in the '80s. The two chips had /CS bonded out to different pins (the adjacent pin was a NC on the standard part). It can be and was done, it's just expensive (so it's not done much, making it...).

Reply to
krw

There is also package scale integration, where multiple chips are wired together inside the package, often involving stacking one on top of the other and wirebonding in three dimensions. Was working with that tool at Cadence before the axe...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.