3D Printer

I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piec e of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as k nobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130 mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-i s-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

ece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (1

30mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

ny sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple

-is-good.

When you get it, I could use a set of Philco 60 knobs in black ...

Reply to
John-Del

I will let you know. But in the meantime, have you tried "Gobs-of-Knobs" (Mike Koste)? gomike at gmail dot com

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

ece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (1

30mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

ny sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple

-is-good.

I've heard good things about the Ender 3 at a price point of around $200, I think. But I don't have one myself so can't confirm.

You've never done the software? Umm. Be prepared for a learning curve, I' ve struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

Reply to
Tim R

piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the abilit y to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simp le-is-good.

I think. But I don't have one myself so can't confirm.

ve struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

I agree about the learning curve. I have the Da Vinci 1.0A and decided to update the firmware with repetier. I've tried all the slicers but stuck wi th slic3r. I wouldn't suggest an all-in-one for the OP for help. The scan ner on these machines aren't very good. He could buy a handheld or 3d prin t parts to use a cell phone and just render on the pc. lol.

Reply to
Edward H.

ece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (1

30mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

ny sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple

-is-good.

Peter, there are several discussions about 3D printing on the Tekscopes for um. Tektronix knobs have a lot more detail than radios used, but people are happy with the results. They have recommended the proper plastics, printer s and software. Be advised, to anyone who wants to join, not just read. You will be kicked to the curb if you are an asshole. If you do get set up, yo u can post files so others can make the same part without starting from scr atch. It can either be public, or private but if others add their files it would save a lot of time and headaches. You could even set it up at a show and demonstrate how it works.

Here is a link to read the group. You can find a link to join, if you are i nterested in Tektronix equipment.

Michael Terrell

ve struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

I am not so worried about the software. It has to have its roots in some CA D system from some source, and all that aside, I do use some other fairly c omplex systems every day such as Metasys, not to mention the standard Micro soft Office suite. Yes, I am prepared for the learning curve and I have a g ood deal of patience (other than for fools). You Tube can be a mixed bag, b ut often quite useful. Early on, I will be duplicating rather than creatin g, hence the need for a scanner. I also spent a number of years as a machin ist - back in the day.

I tripped over a lot of Porto-Baradios, and, amazingly and from separate so urces (thrift-stores), three complete sets of glassware up to and including the swizzle-sticks. Between the five (5) of them, at this point I need a t otal of six handles, two faceplates and four knobs. I could cast them, but a 3D printer would, in my opinion, a better option once I got the first one s done properly. And there would be a brisk market for them at Kutztown. I will look into the Ender as well as any other forthcoming suggestions. The kids want to get this for me for Christmas, and I will give them a "matchi ng grant" to increase their budget, if needed. But right now, they have agr eed on a rough budget of $250 each towards this.

rner

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:07:02 AM UTC-6, Silent Peter W. replied:

What's up Pony Pete! I've been waiting for you buddy. Looks like your ignoring the monster you helped create. What gives? If you start a game you have to see it through. Only way out is to concede. Swallow your pride and not Jeff. lol.

Reply to
Edward H.

Shithead Edward Hernandez has shown himself to be quite the troll.

This is to remind everyone of the Usenet rule for trolls.

*Don't Feed The Troll*

Ignoring it will make it go away best. Yes, it will flail around helplessly for a while, but eventually it will tire and go away.

So just killfile it and be done with his stupidity.

Reply to
Don't Feed The Troll

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 12:30:23 PM UTC-6, Hacker Pete W cawed:

Boo! Ahahaha. You two are so easily made to respond. What was it your pony rider said? "Predictable". The moment you clowns came across me, you both lost. Should have been nicer. lol.

And Profanity as well! What a treat. Gets better everyday while you two continue to shrivel.

Ignoring me? So your little "army of one" tactic didn't work so well? Awwww. Chat with you soon. I'm not going any where. ;)

Reply to
Edward H.

Ordinarily I would agree, but we're kind of fascinated watching Jeff making Edward (Charger Boy) Herpesdez do the sit and spin. Once our over/under p ool is won, we'll killfile him. Right now he's providing both amusement - sort of like watching a mouse in a maze.

Reply to
John-Del

It makes me smile to think not long ago you three clowns were roaming aroun d this forum thinking you were "it". Then a few of you grinned when my lit tle post popped up. Thinking I was an easy mark. Surprise! There is no p ool when the mouse is upsetting the cats. lol. Pete says it's best to ign ore me and I'll go away. Guess what I made him do just now? That's right, he responded. Meow.

Besides, who on earth are you? Tag-along? No worries, your welcome to joi n.

Reply to
Edward H.

I dunno - given the over-under, I agree in delaying any killfiling until that is past.

Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own asshole. We have established that:

it has a great deal of time on its hands. it has nothing better to do. it can be manipulated predictably by a simple automated reply message. its fulminations are amusing in a sad and pathetic way.

Suggesting that it has no life, and needs this sort of interaction in order to feel alive.

Ah, well. Killfiling it is as easy as tweaking it.

Reply to
Peter W.

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:23:29 PM UTC-6, Old Pete croaked:

You mean a vulture right? Like the two who circled around my post? Check.

This will be your downfall old man.

It's called multi-tasking. Which is why you probably should give up on getting a 3D Printer. A bit over your head.

Yeah a fell for it in the beginning. Big whopp. That was your herculean effort? Pretty weak.

Awww, I think you and Jiff are the ones who lose control. Your last reply was evidence enough. I've been in control this entire time. You're losing Pete.

Then you should concede now if you've already gathered I won't quite.

Give it your best shot pony. You're all talk and hide behind silly post tricks. You're as weak as your vocabulary.

Reply to
Edward H.

That was referenced in Allan Sherman's book The Rape of The Ape. (1975) It is called the Gigi Bird.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Jebus.. that's something huh?

Reply to
Edward H.

etpm

That reference sounds a bit highbrow and literary ... I know it as the "Oozlum Bird" from the UK "Carry On Up The Jungle" film :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

We have the Ooh-Ahh bird - a one-pound bird that lays a two-pound egg. Some say a square egg - but we all know that is anatomically impossible!

Reply to
Peter W.

Maybe it got confused with the square peg?

Reply to
Mike Coon