300 amp power supply

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:09:04 +1000, Bill Sloman Gave us:

Yeah... You have ieee dawt org in your posting info.

You do know that they (IEEE) tout the 555 as one of the top chips ever made and also mention that it is still widely used by engineers, right?

So, "right" and "memory" must elude you often and continually.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ea.

Not as frequently as they elude you. The 555 is one of the top chips ever m ade, and it is still widely used by engineers who should know better.

The fact that it was a great chip in 1971 and effectively obsolete by 1990 does seem to have escaped you and John Fields. John Fields can make the 555 do almost anything, which is the kind of skill you remain proud of even wh en it has become irrelevant. You are just AlwaysWrong.

Newcomen's steam engine was a great invention in 1712, but it eventually dr opped out of favour when Watt invented a better model in 1769. Innovation h as been quicker in electronics, but some people haven't noticed.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Technically it can: connect as many PN diodes as needed is series to reduce the voltage by that 3V, i.e. 4..5 BIG diodes. Semiconductor-only, bullet-proof and, regrettably, EXTREMELY HOT design.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

ipative power being 1kw. But the output is 300amp x 14.5v = 4350watt.

get much lower than that.

You could lose far less power with 50/60Hz mechanical sync rectification, i e a vibrator. But the unit would then be very heavy, and long term reliabil ity of vibes was found to be poor. So not a realistic option, but if effici ency got desperate its not impossible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sure, you could go linear with a set of big devices and a fan. For a one off project that option might be worth considering. For mass production it wouldn't make so much sense.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

He is. Accept it.

I'm doubtful Captoro has the skill to do anything but a linear regulator. Such a thing isn't that hard to do, and as a one off is probably practical enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

or should give anywhere between 14.5v to 16v but a max of 18v should be con figured, then shuts down if more then 18v.

batteries directly at a stable 14.5v. Our client said he will .

ice will fit in somewhere in the chain. Their system will take of shutting down the device if batteries are charged. I've been told that the alternato r does not turn on unless there is a charge on the batteries.

So its changed to 14.5-18v input now!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Captoro speaks of 500 units.... I guess 1kW dissipation is acceptable ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

ah

probably not for 500 cars. For one perhaps.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We all know you failed to see the wonders of a 555 timer.

Makes me wonder how you are with a crank up mechanical timer, maybe that isn't so challenging for you?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

e area.

ver

t?

er made, and it is still widely used by engineers who should know better.

990 does seem to have escaped you and John Fields. John Fields can make the 555 do almost anything, which is the kind of skill you remain proud of eve n when it has become irrelevant. You are just AlwaysWrong.

y dropped out of favour when Watt invented a better model in 1769. Innovati on has been quicker in electronics, but some people haven't noticed.

I saw it's wonders - in some detail - around 1974. It wasn't wonderful enou gh for the particular application I'd been set to look at. I looked at ti f rom time to time in later years, but the timer isn't great, and the NPN pow er transistor output is pretty wimpy too. There were always better ways of doing the job. You probably don't know about them - they've only been obvio us to those skilled in the art since about 1980.

You probably think that that is the only alternative. My grandfather had a watch-making lathe in his basement until 1939, and my father had an interve ntionist attitude to alarm clocks and watches. When I was younger, and had a mechanical watch, I did rinse excess lubricant off the hair-spring from t ime to time. It seemed to work.

In the 1940's my father did some timed experiments where the timing mechani sm was an alarm clock hooked up to a mouse-trap/rat-trap relay.

The alarm clock bell was energetic enough to trigger a mouse trap, which wa s energetic enough to trigger a rat-trap, which was powerful enough to turn off a regular mains switch. Worked. So did the experiments.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I hope no-one turned the switch off at the same time the rat trap did :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It seems a strange sort of vehicle that will operate on 12-16 VDC at 300 amps (assuming the charger runs at 1C). About the only EVs that might use

12-16 VDC are small bikes, scooters, and toys. Most wheelchairs, mobility carts, bikes, golf carts, and tractors use a minimum 24 VDC and very often 36 and 48. Such low voltages are considered "safe", although they can cause great harm under some circumstances. Aquatic craft, especially in salt water, might use lower voltage because dangerous currents can be passed through wet, salty skin.

Again assuming 300A at 12-16V, that is 3600-4800 watts, which is about 5-6 HP, that is about right for a lawn tractor, mini-bike, or small fishing boat.

The specification of the supply as an alternator with an uncontrolled output of 14.5-18V adds further mystery, and hints of a sort of hybrid. But that means there must be another mechanical power source, most likely some sort of ICE, and at 5-6 HP that sounds like a lawnmower or bike.

There are also all sorts of "scams" based on alternators charging batteries that drive a DC motor to turn the alternator, as a perpetual motion or even over unity machine. The changing specs and secrecy hint at such a project.

I am curious to find out the exact nature of this project, but I think we may never know. ;)

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Mind the commas for God's sake. :)

joe

Reply to
joe hey

How would you repeatedly charge capacitors without inductor in any efficient way?

joe

Reply to
joe hey

You haven't answered my question yet (or at least I haven't read it yet if you happen to have posted one) about why the hell one would ever use a Cuk-converter for high currents. Maybe the transformer might be a tad smaller, but those poor capacitors...

joe

Reply to
joe hey

I reckon 8 (unequal capacitance) capacitors and 11 switches

-(C)- switch closed during charging -(D)- switch closed during discharging

+-(D)-------+-- ground 1/4 | 1 | in ---(C)-+--||-+-(C)-+-||--+ | | | out --(D)-+ .-(D)-' | | 1/3 | 1/2 | +--||-+-(C)-+-||--+ | | | | .-(D)-' | | 1/2 | 1/3 | +--||-+-(C)-+-||--+ | | | | .-(D)-' | | 1 | 1/4 | +--||-+-(C)-+-||--' | | `-------(D)-' But it might be simpler to duplicate switches on the left for each row.
--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

On 25 Sep 2015 08:27:36 GMT, joe hey Gave us:

"spoke with my client"?

Use proper sentences, ya dope.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe you should >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Hybrid vehicle. Lithium batteries.

Naaaah! See my patents. Except for low RPM drop-out, I can easily hold 0.1V ;-)

[snip]

It is indeed a turd, apparently the (mis)management is insisting on a buck. ...Jim Thompson