300 amp power supply

Last winter I made a small inverter to hang on my handle bars of the snow blower so I could start the damn thing in case it stalled too far from the plug. It has a uni-motor in it so it was easy to generate 120 volts from a 12V battery.

You see it gets a little hard to start that thing with the rip cord, especially when it breaks on your in the dead cold of the winter, it wasn't fun fixing that thing when that happened. For what ever reason it was easier for me to do that than trying to find a 12 volt motor for it. Use the lawn mower battery..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Back when I was interacting with Semco (silver mica etc) we did make some custom large units.

I remember seeing them do 500nf units of low voltage, they were kind of large :)

Many of these other common ranges for silver mica, were being used in military applications.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

If there's that much variation in the alternator output it's either (1) poorly regulated... design your own regulator, or (2) it's simply a rectified AC generator without regulation.

Just occurred to me that it's an alternator regulated to charge an

8-cell lead-acid battery... thus the 16-18V is due to TC's that match the battery.

See...

I've done a few of these things >:-}

I suggest you investigate further... rip out the TC's regulator and roll your own flat regulator... a trivial exercise... see my patents ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Hey Jim. I cant do that i ask. They really want what i said. They need a b lack box does what i mentioned earlier. I cant play with anything else in their project. Apparantly the voltage varies between 16v to 18v because whe n the vehicle is at idle or accelerate changes the voltage a bit K

Reply to
captoro

Cost no issue? ;-)

;-)

Reply to
krw

You have no idea about how many it would take. YOU make the bank, idiot.

Reply to
John S

BS

If the idle voltage is higher than the 14.5V you need, the alternator can be regulated down to the 14.5V

However, it doth appear that a vehicle battery is involved... so go ahead and get yourself in deep ka-ka trying to make that switcher... you'll like the extra heat >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Maybe this is bullshit also, but the only way I know of the 'regulate' the voltage of a permanent-magnet alternator is by varying the reactive current, all other things being equal.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

What makes you think it's a PM alternator?

It likely has a variable field to control its output.

I was designing alternator regulators for all the major American car manufacturers likely before you were born ;-) ...Jim Thompson

There is so much insistence from the 'customer' that the voltage be constant but that it's also an alternator, that I came up with the alternative theory that maybe it's a PM alternator. But it's also possible that he needs that voltage level for some other equipment at the same time. I just don't know. But I have to add that I seem to have made a mistake. It was my intention, and I thought I had done that, but apparently not, to reply in the the post that I posited the possibility of a PM generator. Apparently I didn't, sorry about that. I see this PM thing looks like a claim now while it wasn't. Just a theory.

cheers, joe

Reply to
joe hey

On 22 Sep 2015 05:09:32 GMT, joe hey Gave us:

It is starting to become clear that you "come up with" a lot of things.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

max 341 amps but would most likelyt produce 200amp. So no i cant hooked mys elf directly to the alternator. It is a prototype so no need for ceetificat ion.18vdc input and steady 14.5vdc output 300amp capacity.

The spec has changed yet again

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

45C seems low for an automotive application.

how precisely 18V?

What sort of load? A 4KW audio amp or linear radio amp is going to be more fussy than a winch...

18 to 1.5V is 4V you need to convert, at 300A means a buck converter of about 1 kVA capacity, I've seen 2kVA inverters in packages smaller than that size so it seems probable that you can fit your device into that space.
--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Most altenators of 30A or more capacity have an field input that controls the current output, you buy an off-the-shelf regulator that connects to the battery and the field terminal and it all just works. (or the regulator is built into the altenator)

If your client's altenator is producing the wrong voltage and overcharging the batteries you may need to replace its built-in regulator with an new one from the maker or an connect a generic off-the-shelf regulator in its place.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Yes, thanks for noticing that. A lot of ideas come up in my mind and I'm posting them here for free. I sincerely hope that I'm not disturbing 'the group' too much with that?

cheers, joe

Reply to
joe hey

Earlier I mentioned it was powering a BGA that costs north of $10k for the prototype. I would easily spend several tens of $ on extra capacitors if it meant a reduction in design risk.

Some of my products are cost sensitive, but not this one :)

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Jasen where did you see your 2 kw module. You are right about the dissipative power being 1kw. But the output is 300amp x 14.5v = 4350watt.

Reply to
captoro

On 22 Sep 2015 11:02:14 GMT, joe hey Gave us:

Go take an electronics course.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No problem.

I think poor captoro is being forced by a customer to attack the problem the wrong way :-( ...Jim Thompson

DecadentLooooser. Don't feed the troll. ...Jim Thompson