Cheap, high amp dc power supply?

Is there any way to make a dc power supply capable of 50+ amps at

12-13.8 vdc? Basically, I'm looking for something to simulate the power from a car without the whole battery and charger setup. Parts express sells a nice rackmount one, but I'd rather not part with $190.

TIA

Trevor

Reply to
twags6

Is there any way to make a dc power supply capable of 50+ amps at

12-13.8 vdc? Basically, I'm looking for something to simulate the power from a car without the whole battery and charger setup. Parts express sells a nice rackmount one, but I'd rather not part with $190.

TIA

Trevor

Reply to
twags6

Hi Trevor, What is the application for this supply? If you need nice clean regulated power you can spend more than the $190.00 that you quoted. When I worked on high current mobile transceivers I would use the battery and charger set up, best power for the money. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

It would mainly be for testing various equipment such as dc motors, car amps, etc. I was looking for something with decent regulation that i could possibly build. I've seen a few designs, but i'm not sure what the best would be.

heres a few i found:

twags6

the regulator is easy, any switchmode chip powering a external fet will do the job, the hardest part is finding a transformer which will kick out

50amps.....

Chris

Reply to
exxos

Neither of these. Linear regulators will burn up a whole lot of power. The 1230psu circuit above will have to dissapate 360W of power. Much less than 50% efficiency.

Why not an isolation transformer like this one:

The 1KVA is 66 percent more than the 600 VA the original poster requested. And it'll be isolated.

Essentially you want to switchmode power from a 170 VDC filtered source.

But even at 90% efficiency you'll still have to get rid of 150 W of heat.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

A sealed lead-acid or lead-calcium battery and an appropriate charger will provide the power you want for much less than an equivalent DC supply.

A 25AH sealed lead-calcium is available in the US for $40 including UPS Ground shipping:

You need a charger large enough to keep the battery from discharging more than halfway when under load. If the load is intemittent (typical of most testing) then a trickle charger may be adequate.

I used a standard automotive battery and a 10amp DC supply for testing mobile radios that drew appreciably more than 10 amps when transmitting - the battery provided the additional power needed. A sealed battery is a MUCH better solution - and the one listed above is price competitive with a typical automotive battery.

John

Reply to
John

You might be able to find better deals on Astron or other similar power supplies. This company sells a 45A PS for over $200. You may be able to get a used one on Ebay for a lot less.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

If it's only for occasional testing such as drawing 50 amps for 10% or less of the time it sounds as though a good auto battery plus a charger would be the cheapest way to go. The battery will automatically smooth the output of the charger, provide sufficient capacity for 50 amps for short periods and simulate conditions such as those found in a typical vehicle? Make sure of good ventilation while battery recharging!

Reply to
Terry

It would mainly be for testing various equipment such as dc motors ca amps, etc. I was looking for something with decent regulation that could possibly build. I've seen a few designs, but i'm not sure wha the best would be

heres a few i found

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =------------

---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =--

Reply to
twags6