300 amp power supply

Thanks for clarifying that. And I like the idea of using a multiphase buck when you need to switch devices in parallel anyway.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

That's coupled inductor SEPIC. I'm using coupled inductor polyphase buck. Different beast.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
TRNG

What happens if you use a 220uF X7R instead for that?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Your costs go up a little (not that cost is an issue for this design).

Where do you get them? I can find X5R and X6S, but not X7R.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

On 21 Sep 2015 13:30:31 GMT, Allan Herriman Gave us:

snip learn to SNIP

Use mica.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

hello,

I finally received more details from my client. it will be installed in a vehicle with temperature ranging from -30 to 45 celcius. The size is... don't know if its doable... 10" x 7" x 3.5" yes in inches not in feet.

18vdc input 14.5v dc output at 300 amps.!

thanks

captoro

I just looked for a ceramic equivalent to the EEF thing posted on Digikey. The chip ceramics were a bit cheaper in fact so I was wondering what the point was of the larger, lower voltage "Al-poly" types.

Well there's this but that is cheating (and silly)

I could have sworn I found X7R there this morning but they have "vanished" so I guess I made a mistake. Just X5R and X6S as you suggest. Still, might be OK for some applications.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Can you provide a link to a 220uF mica capacitor?

Reply to
John S

would be the size of a house

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Look, if you want quality you have accept a few facts of life. Lets have no more of these wimpy surface mount things, do it right!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:48:51 -0700 (PDT), captoro Gave us:

Still no mention as to what the juice will be feeding. If all it is is a battery, then design parameters and requirements change significantly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:14:18 -0500, John S Gave us:

You make a parallel bank, idiot. Provide yourself a link to some common sense.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Obviously. I didn't mean the topologies were the same, just the inductor use.

Coupled inductors' peak current advantage in a polyphase buck would come from being able to pump more flux into the discharging inductors even while they're discharging, reducing i.ripple.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You are an imbecile.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

The source is an alternator outputing 14.5v to a battery bank.

captoro

Huh?

You previously stated...

"hello,

I finally received more details from my client. it will be installed in a vehicle with temperature ranging from -30 to

45 celcius. The size is... don't know if its doable... 10" x 7" x 3.5" yes in inches not in feet. 18vdc input 14.5v dc output at 300 amps.!

thanks

K"

If the "18V" is actually coming from an alternator then regulate via the alternator, solution is trivial, low dissipation. ...Jim Thompson

that doesn't make sense. If the source is 18v from an alternator that would certainly change the requirements. Time to stop trolling & state what's going on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They seem to top out below 100nF, although no doubt there are bigger ones somewhere. The 91nF ones are ~$50 each

You need ~2400 of these in your bank. The good news is that in quantity the cost comes down to a more reasonable ~$40 each so around $100k total per system.

Or you could use the $0.50 Al-poly (or X7R etc).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Gotta watch the voltage coefficient for those dielectrics. Still, it's not a problem if you know about it.

For this particular design I have a mix of ceramic and Al-poly caps on the output. The total capacitance is over 10mF. I use a mix of types to get a low impedance over a fairly wide frequency range.

This is also the first design where I've had to take the Cu plane resistance into account in the DC/DC loop stability calculations. Sure, nothing can go wrong! As part of that I wrote my own finite element solver to calculate the plane resistance around the caps and the BGA. The swiss cheese effect from thousands of anti-pads has a nasty effect on resistance.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

My clients says the alternator gives anything between 16 to 18v dc. And ma x 341 amps but would most likelyt produce 200amp. So no i cant hooked mysel f directly to the alternator. It is a prototype so no need for ceetificatio n.18vdc input and steady 14.5vdc output 300amp capacity. I was thinking about one IGBT that can run up 600 amp...

captoro