DC Power Supply

hello,

I am looking to buy a DC Power Supply. I am not sure of getting a digital or analog display. And also one output or two output. Is there a specific use for one of the above or is it simply a decision of personnel taste..

I am mostly doing home projects, I dont think need to go more then

30-40 v.

thanks

Ken

Reply to
lerameur

I prefer analog meters. Not so precise, but instant visual feedback. I use a digital meter at the circuit under test if I need a very precise setting.

I also like supplies with both voltage and current settings, so I can limit short circuit current to just a bit more than the circuit requires. The main advantage to a dual supply is that you can turn the pair on and off approximately simultaneously.

Reply to
John Popelish

I am not sure, but I think a dual supply is when you can supply two circuit with different power. Is this something that is used commonly in normal operation ? I mean I am going to be facing this situation often ?

ken

Reply to
lerameur

Analog, its readout is instantly noticed by human eye, no reading required. If, repeat if, for some strange reason you want to use your power source as voltage reference use your working AVO-meter to adjust it to any value.

2 floating supplies can be combined in series to add their voltages or in parallel to increase current. When playing with different cirquits you never _know_ what comes in.

Taste? How does it taste to go crazy because you cannot activate a simple cirquit. It is called "experience".

Right! One old-timer called 741 is a good teacher!

Have fun

Stanislaw

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Most dual supplies consist of a positive and a negative output that share a common ground. This is very convenient for either opamp type dual supply systems, or to use in series as a higher voltage single output. But it limits the flexibility to use the two isolated from each other. For isolated situations, I usually use two single supplies.

By the way, old HP supplies had the best quality meters:

but you have to switch between voltage or current measurements. For simultaneous metering, old Lambda supplies are nice:

John Popelish