24V to 500-1000V, 20W floating DC-DC converter

Jeepers that's a large bulk capacitance.

If all you really need is an expedient ~1kV supply to charge cap bank with that energy that can power up off a 12 or 24 volt supply you could use a sine inverter off the shelf and a couple of appropriately-rated line transformers like:

but please don't quote me that I got those dots correct, or actually recommended any of this, damn son.

If what you need is like that but compact and very efficient and infinitely adjustable I'll have to defer. GL

Reply to
bitrex

Just different numbers. Shouldn't be really hard.

:

d its

udes

3803.

you

ting

as

4uF

ement, to prevent droop during pulses. So the caps are not fully charged an d discharged every cycle that would need to fast cap charge capability of t he Ultravolt unit. The bulk capacitance will also be "separated" from the p ower supply with a resistor to slow charge the caps.

Yes, it essentially will charge the caps and then keep them topped off once the pulser starts running, so it doesn't matter how long it takes to charg e the caps. The max average pulser power is 20W @1000V, so that's the rate the power supply has output to keep the caps topped off. Thanks for the sin e inverter suggestion.

After some more digging I found this app note that is modern (parts still i n production) and does 15W at 1000V, so it's another design for me to inves tigate.

Matt B

The Thor rocket was just sort of a scaled-up kerosene burning V2:

Reply to
bitrex

pulser. It needs to be a floating or negative converter.

e only one I've come across that is isolated is Figure 50 of LT Application Note 29

on-notes/an29f.pdf). It is specified for 1000V, 5W so not beefy enough. The transformer is also obsolete, but this comment mentions potential replacem ents.
ljdPZ_BQAJ

uces-a-continuous-arc/) that is 1kV, 20W. I just don't know enough about ma king it adjustable and isolated.

FQAIY1VaYBY/mLvGKJC2AgAJ

as

OK... IDK. The piezo stack things are pretty slow. The OP must be doing something else.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

pulser. It needs to be a floating or negative converter.

e only one I've come across that is isolated is Figure 50 of LT Application Note 29

on-notes/an29f.pdf). It is specified for 1000V, 5W so not beefy enough. The transformer is also obsolete, but this comment mentions potential replacem ents.
ljdPZ_BQAJ

uces-a-continuous-arc/) that is 1kV, 20W. I just don't know enough about ma king it adjustable and isolated.

FQAIY1VaYBY/mLvGKJC2AgAJ

as

hopefully debugging a powersupply doesn't make fireballs like that ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ya, it's just a 5uF 1000 volt filter cap on the out put it seems? That's quite a capacitor bank for a piezo driver.

Above my "pay grade", whatever it is.

Reply to
bitrex

OK, my bad. It would be really hard for you.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

oscillator1.htm

page, which relies on pulse with modulation to adjust the output voltage.

an you need, and the power levels are for biasing a photomultiplier tube an d lower than you want.

t - you would also need a higher voltage MOSFET switch - 24V into the centr e tap of a Baxanadall class oscillator produces a 75.4V peak half-sine acro ss the MOSFET that is off, and the AP9465GEM is only good for 40V.

. Interesting that this design was never built; I'm sure I would find a way to produce some fireworks.

Not strictly true. I don't flatter John Larkin with the enthusiasm that Joh n Larkin feels he deserves, but that isn't - of itself - insulting.

I haven't built anything recently, but I haven't been able to find people w ho needed stuff built. I've certainly posted LTSpice simulations that proba bly would have worked if they had been built, but John Larkin doesn't count them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Mooom, Mr. Larkin's trying to peer pressure me again. He say he's bad!

Reply to
bitrex

Pretty big cap for an un-vented type, here. Sploosh!

Reply to
bitrex

My calculator says 1000V and 5uF is 2.5 watt*seconds. So a 20W source can get there in 2.5/20 = 125 milliseconds.

Reply to
John S

Peer?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

John Larkin makes more money out of slapping together electronics than the rest of us, which - in his eyes - makes him some kind of aristocrat.

Any pressure he applies is from a position of social superiority - at least given his ideas about how this particular society ought to operate.

Peer pressure is applied by your social equals. Narcissists expect other pe ople to admire them quite a much as they admire themselves, and any shortfa ll in that admiration is insulting. He does complain about being insulted b y anything less than fulsome flattery.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sometimes I find the best way to, say, get a friend a second opinion on her car accident situation on the social media for example. Look at the pictures. Say "Sigh, yep, looks like $6000 worth of damage to me. Maybe $7000. I think they're probably going to rule that a total loss.."

then you wait a little bit. And another man (almost always a man) will come around and say "Nah idiot. That's no more than $3000 in damage. Actually I worked for the insurance industry for 8 years and DO know what I'm talking about, unlike you."

"No way that's not a total loss."

"Oh I beg to differ!"

"There is definitely, no way, that you could provide an itemized assessment of all the damage to that car and what you believe the repair costs should be and have that on my friend's desk by tomorrow morning."

"PFft! I could do it in my sleep." "Oh yeah?" "Yeah, punk." "OK. Well get on it." "Right. I'll show you."

I am studying managerial techniques

Reply to
bitrex

If your contribution to an electronic design forum is to tell obviously intelligent people that they shouldn't try to design electronics, management is your destiny. You can write long memos just like the blather above.

A 1KV, 20 watt flyback wouldn't be difficult, except to people who are afraid to do it.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Pfft. No way you could design him a circuit like that by the weekend. You ain't got the guts!

Reply to
bitrex

A 1kV 20W flyback is not much harder than a typical low voltage flyback. Ju st need to get the correct wire. Notice that enameled wire much be operated at much much lower voltage than what you can test it for your self. Typica l errors is to not take into consideration impurities of the lacquer, eleva ted temperatures, stresses when winding, etc

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

And ozone from corona discharge.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't think you're MAN enough to do some research into distributors who carry the correct wire and find some optimum part #s and post those links here.

Reply to
bitrex