10BaseT1S/L

There's lots of press about the 2019 single-part 10BaseT1S & 1L standards. It's designed to replace 4-20mA systems via existing single pair cable.

I'm wondering re: media converters to existing 100BaseT etc LANS. I've found zip so far... Anyone seem same?

Reply to
David Lesher

10BaseT1's driving justification was to replace 4-20 with Ethernet, using the existing single twisted pair cable up to ~1000ft. Obviously, the field end would need an A to D converter. But hello, it's no longer the 1950's, and process control ain't still vacuum tube Taylor PI analog controllers. 10Base1L {& S} is 100% Ethernet. But while I've read lots of hype about it, I also did for other earth-shaking inventions such as bubble memory, ATM, Token Ring, etc.

So what, if anything, is actually available for 10BaseT1L {Or for that matter, 10BaseT1S..}?

Reply to
David Lesher

You could use the HART protocol to transmit digital data riding on existing 4-20 mA analog current loop systems.

upsidedown

It is not, for me. I was explaining where 10BaseT1L came from.

I'll try again:

1) I need Ethernet, 10baseT is fast enough. 2) I must use an embedded 1 twisted pair cable that is in place. 3) The solution would be 10BaseT1L, if in fact it is anything but vaporware.

So:

Is 10BaseT1L real or just another nothingburger???

Reply to
David Lesher

Well 10BASE-T1L and 10BASE-T1S still exist, and the latest version of the standard was approved in 2019, so it's still active. Lots of people make chips. Google on 10BASE-T1L to find many.

Here is the list of Ethernet physical media options:

.

Note that if twisted pair is not required, the fiber-optic options are winning big in big factories because of their total immunity to EMI.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Sorry, I thought you meant 4-20mA converters. Yes, I seek 10BaseT1L to 10/100/1000BaseT1L

But given the extensive 100BaseT/1000BaseT deployment, a converter to 10BaseT1 is a starting point towards wider deployment.

Won't fit this need. Must put printers in places with only STP cable to them.

Yep. That was my starting point, not components but deployable products.

That's true.

Reply to
David Lesher

Many What? I'm seeking things I can put in a NewEgg or Microcenter or ? shopping cart.

That is quite true, but the value of the installed base STP in plants is huge. Not everything needs GB/s.

Reply to
David Lesher

If it’s compatible with automotive Ethernet, you can get adapters from Amazon. Not super cheap.

We recently did that with a couple of lidars.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The point is that if companies like Analog Devices are making the chips, there necessarily are many other companies buying the chips and incorporation them into things you can buy. And the automotive market is likely to be very large.

But you will need to do your own research to find candidate products and determine which ones are suitable.

See the "Note that if twisted pair is not required" qualifier. There are many folk who don't have that limitation, and knowing where the market centroid is may be useful.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Rather a 4-20ma converter at the sensor, an existing STP of ~500M in length, and a new digital controller replacing dozens of museum-quality PID controllers.

Reply to
David Lesher

I suspect those were 10BaseT1S, suitable up to 15M distances.

Reply to
David Lesher