Re: Long term software update mechanism

I wouldn't want to rely on wireless ethernet - there's too much in there that could change over time to the extent that no then available device could talk to it.

Preventing managers from causing on-line update to become available is really difficult as long as software can do updating, since even if on-line update is not implemented from day one, it could be implemented via the last non-online update.

The solution is a device that is physically incapable of updating itself unless some local action is taken, such as pressing a button. As long as no one implements a remote button-pressing device.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Futureproofing is an unsolved problem. Backstop for such issues, is swapping major parts of the device back to the factory.

This assumes the factory with the update is not in a war zone or supervolcano caldera.

Reply to
whit3rd

An Ethernet socket and a dedicated line to connect it to whatever hardware du jour happens to be? I can't see physical wired Ethernet going away any time soon. (other cheap fast serial protocols are available)

I still have the odd thing hanging around that requires it's firmware to be bitbashed down a bidirectional parallel printer port (remember them?). I keep one such machine with that, RS485, an ancient SCSI card and even more antique IEEE488 card for just such occasions.

The one that really annoys me is my high end internet radio tuner (early adopter) the BBC has effectively bricked it since they changed their streaming format and the device now more than 5 years old is no longer supported. It is a *BIG* problem with so-called "smart" devices :(

It still works fine for ROW programme content.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Gee, Martin, what part of “move fast and break things“ didn’t you get? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Wim Ton

It bothers me that such devices are typically inside one's firewall, and that one's security is therefore dependent on whatever security is in place at the server side.

I've created a separate LAN for such devices (Smart TV, etc), but that's going to beyond the skills of most owners, who are most likely not even aware of the issue.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else