Odd Lots

Near my home town there is a large store that sells all kinds of goodies which come from, I supppose, bankrupt stores or overstocks and the like.

There I found some LED flashlights. The smaller one contains 9 white LEDs and three AAA cells in a cartridge. The case is made of metal, is waterproof being sealed with O-rings, and looks like it was machined. And the thing cost only $3 with the AAA's. It works just great as it illuminates the area you point at very nicely. It does not throw a sharply focused beam.

The second size contains 16 white LEDs and is similar in construction except the housing for the LEDs is larger. It cost $6.

Now how can a Western manufacturer compete with this? These were made in China. I can't even buy 9 LEDs for $3 let along 3 AAA cells and a waterproof body.

Just my rave.

Al

PS: I forgot, the larger one comes with a holder you attach to your belt.

Reply to
Al

Maybe it's like this.. A US tech company did the flashlight R&D. (Probably a bunch of cheapass US tech students working for less than $20 000.) The R&D team is now fired. All that remains of the US tech company is the president who collects (guessing) 1 dollar per flashlight. Say $2 million dollars income on 2 million flashlights. Easy money for doing almost nothing.

So perhaps at least one western guy is getting rich. :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

usa could easily compete if it utilized the full capacity of automation and supply of modern equipment

we are hampered not by cheap labor costs from over seas, but rather expensive incompetence from within the usa

nobody here ever invests in new equipment unless there is guaranteed 200/300 percent profit and complete tax breaks fromlocal/federal govt.

nobody here will risk crossing the likes of union thugs to require reasonable labor contracts.

no one here ever will challenge the medical/health industry to reduce their self arrogant ego & insensitivity to real peoples economies.

i don't need an 8/10 educated year intern to set my broken bone or lavage my wounds.

we rather will graciously pour whats left of any gain into some poor retched economy that crys and howls whenever some minutia of perceived affront is made to them.

forget the usa folks, this wealthy bunch of usa industrialists would rather screw their next door neighbor down the street of even a half decent job to make an extra billion in profit by using some ignorant farmer who migrates to a foreign city.

if somebody sends money "back home", require them to send just as much here to our own poor starving people.

its not those other countries, it is the scumbag stock market methods and the cretinous banking slobs who do nothing other than exploit ANYONE for money and gain.and they are HERE in this USA now.

capitalism is far more damaging than it is promoted as. money is NOT blood and community, it is a cheap way to deceive and defraud far too many hard working americans (and foreigners).

clean air will soon be more valuable than your child's own health.

how's that for some RANT! eh?

Reply to
HapticZ

If you're that concerned about LED prices and willing to resort to arguably sketchy measures, there are lots of high-candela (but rather narrow viewing angle) LEDs out there on eBay. A lot of 100 (listed as

13000mcd, but I can't scientifically verify that) I got recently was around $12 shipped, weighing in at just over $1 for nine of them, and they seem to be working well.

But then again, the guy I bought them from was in China... Does that make it a moot point? :-/

M2C PSM

Reply to
Peter S. May

Probably moot.

I buy mine from ledshoppe.com in China too.

This is actually what "globalization" is all about - eliminate walmart and buy directly from China, drugs from Canada, etc.. Seems only fair somehow.

Newsgroups
default

Good rant. I feel the same way.

When the illegals in my area where making 10-20 an hour working in the building industry they weren't paying taxes and were bringing their families here, now that housing is down they are working for less than minimum wage and we are having a small crime wave.

They are "doing the jobs Americans won't touch?" hardly. They are so cheap that farmers find it easier to hire them - no tax hassles no health care no problems - they are so cheap in some areas that it doesn't pay to invest in capital equipment - machine harvesting is more expensive - pneumatic hammers and nail guns don't make sense when you can put ten people on a roof for the cost of two workers with nail guns.

I feel the US is too top heavy with people living a life far removed from the 95% that actually do the work that provides the wealth. They are the de facto ruling class.

The "economy" depends on constant expansion and inflation to erode savings just to keep a corrupt government afloat. It is like a drunk person unbalanced and running forward to keep from falling.

"Lies, corruption and credit will increase till the house of cards collapses"

Most people are too caught up in the consume/spend/work lifestyle they remain unaware of what being done to them. They are unwilling to think and would rather believe what makes them feel safe.

One financial institution has a solution for the so-called "sub prime loan crunch." Instead of raising their rates when they miss a payment or two the companies are negotiating with the home buyers to lower the rates and just raise the principle - so in effect the price they paid for the house keeps rising and in the meantime the loan company gets to keep the loan on the books as a viable loan -not in default. Poor folks will still lose the house - but owe lots more on it and never pay off the loan - it just takes longer this way.

Newsgroups
default

Odd lots is better known as Big Lots.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Automation.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Or maybe it's like this: $20K development, plus marketing and other expenses, out of your pocket; full price of production run paid in advance from your bank account, $0.50 profit per unit on 100,000 units sold.

Did I mention rent, telephone, taxes, fire inspection, OSHA, EPA, ...?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Not necessarily easily. Unless your volume is huge, you might never pay for those expensive machines, much less make any money.

That's wrong, of course.

Unions are dying off, having killed themselves (or their industries, e.g. Detroit) with their demands.

There is no incentive to save; because people aren't spending their own money, they don't care about the cost. If the patients don't care, neither do the doctors. And, on the disincentive side, the higher the costs the more insurance companies make, and lawyers feed on doctors who omit customary but unnecessary labwork.

Make that "a profit" or "save themselves from ruin."

But you've already said the USA can't compete by hiring workers; we need to buy the latest equipment, you said. So you yourself favor the elimination of workers and judge it necessary to remain competitive.

But now the burden on industrialists is such that it doesn't even make sense to have one's machines here; better to send them overseas. That's what the trends suggest, anyhow.

Using? And yet the immigrant thinks it's a good enough deal that he's willing to cross borders and live in the shadows to do it.

If the immigrant is misused, how is it he has money to send home?

And...you want to take it from him? After accusing others of using him, you want to sieze his hard-won gains?

Incoherent.

Best regards, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Why, for once, could we please have "even lots"???

Reply to
Robert Baer

So, you don't know who, or what Odd lots/Big lots is?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh, but i do know; still, how abot an even lot once in a while?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Because you never get an even break in an odd place. You should have seen their first stores, in the early '80s in Ohio. They bought up the remaning leases of the failed 'Rink's Bargain Barn' chain, and had some bizarre deals, like a BRAND NEW 2 hp Dayton electric motor for $10. A lot of stuff never made it to the shelves. They would truck skids to the floor, and some of them were empty before they could find room to shelve it. large cans of spray paint were 20 cents, and most inventorey was les than 20 cents ont eh dollar. They made todays dollar stores look odd, and most of their inventory was US made surplus.

Later, they bought out the "Bluegrass Hardware" chain and liquidated high quality hand tools and farm supplies.

I first found 'Breakfree' at one of their stores and used it to free up a seized Chevy 292 engine that hadn't been started in four years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wherin lies the coherence of our existing system?

it propogates itself at expense of personal sacrifice and loss.

live among the dying on the streets for a few months, feel what has befallen those that have been struck blows so hard to render them unable to recover.

success lacks reason if it fails to procure a safer and kinder nation across all of the participants.

militant responses to less than profitable situations has driven allies far from what we portray as coherence and cooperative nationbuilding.

loss is part of life, constant gain results in unbalance and poorly dispersed adaptations.

the govt (ie lawyer/PAC's/various Study Groups) already treats the "democratic shareholders" as unwilling sources of tax and fees beyond worth of return.

loss of virtual capacity of democratic participants to choose direction via votes/challenges/debate provides ample opportunity to erode and undermine basic constittional edicts. in effect, the constitution is not able to provide ample safe guards for population values beyond its intended scopes, it is outmoded even now as are the methods to impliment its intended processes.

goodies

like.

in

belt.