SPI SRAMs

I have a fairly odd need here. Basically, I would like to extend the RAM of a PIC18F from 4KB to around

20KB so that I can create some sortof framebuffer for a 130x130 lcd screen. Being simple chips, PICs can't address external RAM like, say, an 8051 can. I would like to keep the pincount down as _low_ as possible, with speed less of a priority. I was just wandering: is there such thing on the market as an SPI SRAM?

If so is there anywhere that will supply to the UK in small volumes -

Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

Atmel do SPI based data flash, up to 64Mbits soic8 AT45DBxxx series. These will soon be available from Farnell....

Reply to
TT_Man

Or you could go straight to an ARM-based chip which has the RAM in it. There are some from NXP with 32 and 64kB, though I have not used them. Farnell has a special offer on the non-RoHS version of the 32kB one (7342640), under £5. I have been trying the ADuC7020 series myself, but those have only 8kB SRAM I think.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

But it is still (mostly) flash, and so will wear out eventually.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones