Looking for a small off the shelf PSU

I've got a little project that I'd like an AC power supply for.

I'd like to avoid a wall wart or lump-in-a-cord and I don't really want to get into designing my own for small quantities and have to deal with compliance issues into the bargain.

So, Im looking for a simple self-contained supply ( ideally enclosed ) and ideally universal input.

I only need a few watts. 3.6V @ 350mA and +/- 9 , 12 or 15V @ say 150mA ( non-critical ).

Has anyone got any suggestions ? It's not something I normally need to look at.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You will find that these are more expensive than Wall Warts. Generally, 'triple supply' units are also noticeably more, and you might want to consider, using a small charge pump chip to develop the +/-15v supplies, if these are not too critical, and just using a single supply unit. The very smallest PCB units are often not enclosed. Traco enclosed units, start at 18W. However there are then really small 'fully encapsulated' units, and for example, Traco, do such a module, the TML15515, which though 15W, otherwise 'meets' your requirements. As a non encapsulated PCB mount module, the TOF15-0533T, would again suit, and an optional 'cover', is available for this. Several other companies do similar modules. These are 'universal input' modules (85 to 265vAC), with safety certifications for just about every standard. If your 'run', is more than a few units, it is worth talking to one of the companies, or a supplier. As an example, in the past, IPD, did me a custom unit, for only a couple of dollars more than the standard modules, with assymetric output rails.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

For sure but that's not the primary motivator here. 'Professional' kit doesn't cut it when wall-wart powered.

I'd considered that too. It's a maybe.

How many units did you need for that to make sense ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

AllElectronics.com

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Why? I've seen a lot of laptops powered off wall warts. Are they not professional?

If you are worried about the plug falling out, use a right-angle one and put a clip/clamp over it.

If your gear is expected to be used on the desk top or bench, it might even be an advantage to have a light flexible power cord rather than a big/stiff one. The space/weight savings might help too.

Hal Murray

A latop-style supply often takes a power cord. Mount such a box inside your cabinet and be done.

I've seen them as dual supply models at least for USB drive cabinets. 5 volts, not 3.6 volts, though.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Not in my book. I've seen those DC connectors fail too. WTH does a $1000 laptop rely on a 2c connector to get its power ?

Pro-audio ( the market the product is for ) requires very durable equipment that doesn't rely on friction fitting connectors that easily break for starters.

Besides, the wart is a PITA to have to carry around with you when it's being used in the field.

Not adequate. Warts are simply plain Mr Clumsy territory. Experience shows them to be unreliable too, noisy, prone to inadvertent damage, you name it.

Weight is almost a non-issue compared to durability.

The other side of the coin is that 'flimsy' DC leads such as found with most wart powered PC peripherals is wholly inadequate to the task.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

get

Not exactly what I had in mind for a production item.

5 and 12 Volts ? The 3.6V is easily obtained with a regulator.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Damn !

If only there was one of these in the UK !

Nice one Homer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore