Is there really any difference between MC33063A and MC34063A?

As far as I can see from the OnSemi datasheet, the MC33063ADR2G and MC34063ADR2G are totally identical except for the specified temperature range (-40 to +85degC vs 0 to +70degC).

Does anyone know of any physical difference between them, such as altered package construction or materials?

Are the the 33063 devices actually tested at the -40 and +85degC temperature extremes, or is the difference purely a way of promoting the device for different market segments (with appropriate cost adjustments)?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Heck No! In terms of functionality, The -40 to +85degC is for Military application, the other one for commercial use. It said very loud and clear in the databook.

...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASICK's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | | | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat | |

| 1962 |

America: Land of the Freedom Abusers, Because of the Bastards.

Dunno offhand but this surely warrants serious and detailed study, we'll get back to you...Have you checked the reliability and process screening links?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Yes, I have now! Thanks for that pointer.

I compared the following parameters for the MC34063ADR2G (0 to +70), MC33063ADR2G (-40 to +85) and MC33063AVDR2G / NCV33063AVDR2G (-40 to

+125) automotive published on the On-Semi website:

Wafer fab process Reliability data Mold compound composition Lead frame composition Die attach composition Plating composition Wire bond composition

Everything is identical for all temperature variants of the device.

So that answers the question about physical differences - there appear to be none.

What I can't find is anything to tell me whether the devices are ACTUALLY tested at temperature extremes.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

They may be tested to tighter standards at room temperature, so that they will still meet specs at temperature extremes. Why do you care?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That sounds plausible.

The application is highly cost sensitive and requires very occasional operation down to -20 deg C and up to +80deg C (including self-heating of the housing). The vast majority of the time will be spent between

+10 and +50 deg C.

Parametric deviations at temperature extremes of up to twice the specified limits would not cause a problem.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Well .... the actual device itself (the silicon chip) comes off the same line. Military devices are merely chosen by selection.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Exactly, the rest of the people think they know what they're talking about. I've in Electronic for hundreds of years....Heeheee..........Ain't that a HOOT?

Reply to
JakTheHammer