I want to move my Stereo IR sensor

I've been searching the net and can't find anything definite, but I am having problems controlling my stereo (actually a Logitech speaker system with an infrared remote) due to where I have the control box located. I would like to remove the IR sensor led from the control box and extend it using about 30' of cable. I am thinking (and read an old post) that I could use shielded microphone wire, using the shield as ground, and the twisted pair inside for the other two leads. Will this work? The IR sensor is a pain to get at-I'll have to cut the leads and do some CAREFUL soldering which I can do, but I don't think I can put it back if it doesn't work. I have the control unit in a cabinet and would like to have the sensor mounted by my monitor. How much sensitivity will I lose using that length of cable, and/or will it work at all?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

"Raadical" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Have you considered buying a remote control extender ?

formatting link

Regards, Ben

Reply to

Ben wrote: Have you considered buying a remote control extender ?

I've looked at that option, but the unit is well within range (I've considered mirrors and a small glass window in the cabinet too), It's just that I have a setup in my bedroom with a monitor mounted from the ceiling, with all wiring run through the attic to it, and all the components tucked away out of sight (I have a Mac Mini, EyeTV, Logitech speaker system setup), and I want to keep it that way. Everything has led's on it and I don't like having a multi-colored stack of gear glowing in the room when I go to sleep. I'd just like to be able to place the sensor so I can aim at the TV (monitor). Another question would be, if I can run that cable length, could I just add another sensor to the circuit by soldering the cable to the leads on the PCB? Would that damage it & would I have to know the frequency? here's a sensor I found on the net

formatting link
or could I get one out of an old stereo or something?

Reply to

The IR units I've seen have a simple open-drain output.

The data rate is pretty slow. I'd expect it to work on the end of some cable. You might want to make the pullup smaller and/or include a bypass cap mounted at the IR unit.

Can you find a part number? It might help to check the data sheet.

The suespammers.org mail server is located in California.  So are all my
other mailboxes.  Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

FWIW, I've done this to an old cable TV box and it worked fine. The cable length was 25 feet or so. YMMV.

Reply to

ElectronDepot website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.