Stereo to mono

Hi Folks

I have a small MP3 player and I want to use only one earphone, that is mono. The output from the player is stereo.

Can I just join the two stereo lines to the earphone. Or it requires some resistors before they are joined to the phone. If so what is recommended?

Many thanks for your time and attention

ClueLess

ClueLess

It may work ok joining the 2 together how ever, why not chance it and just use 2 resistors to make sure. Not sure of the impedance of the output of that thing but it maybe like 16 or 32 ohms. Try 2 47 ohms in a T network connection from LEFT and RIGHT channels.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

Depending on the drive circuitry a direct short may damage your stereo. A quick search shows varying DC impedances for earphones, but they are generally high -- running upwards from 500ohms to over 1k. You could simply run each output through a resistor then short the other ends of the resistors together and drive your earphones in series. Ideally, you want to know the dc resistance of your earphones and make sure the resistors are very low in comparison (say 1/10th). But, assuming that your phones are in the range previously quoted a value of 16 - 47 ohms would be fine. The output power from an MP3 player will be low enough that a 1/8W resistor will be fine. Keep in mind these are all suggestions based on the minimum info provided. To do a proper job, you should follow the actual calculations the suggestions point to.

Reply to
wolfenhawke

Many thanks Jamie and Wolfenhawke for the fast response.

The supplied earphones show a DC resistance of 32 ohms. To be on the safe side I will use two 87 ohms resistors which I hope will not much reduce the output levels, at the same time giving enough load.

Thanks again

ClueLess

ClueLess