Help with component identification

Hello all, I am trying to replace this damaged component (

). I'm pretty sure it's a surface mount capacitor but I can't figure out what it's values are or where to get a replacement (digikey?). Can I just replace it with a standard radio-shack cap of the same capacitance? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Nathan

Reply to
keep.the.spam.away

shows how to read those numbers.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

I did find that, but as you said, don't know which one is the value. I remember once seeing a website that could decode these but I can't find it.

Since its obviously a SMD electrolytic, the value suggested elsewhere of 2pF is monumentally silly!

Its hard to judge the size with no other reference so if it was the 108 at the bottom indicating a one a zero followed by a multiplier of 8 zero's that could be 1000uF, but it doesn't look that big so I'd go with the top number "100" as 100uF and 16V.

Reply to
ian field

100uF/16v
Reply to
Bobby

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:51:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" put finger to keyboard and composed:

This datasheet shows a series G cap:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yes it's a surface mount electrolytic cap. Quite possibly 100uF, 16V.

Does that make sense in the circuit context ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

16V. >

Another important question is 'how' is it damaged? Physically knocked off the board? They can be re-installed if the pads are still OK. We buy 100uF 16V SMT caps in reels of 1000 to work on Sony Digital BetaCam machines. SMT 'lytics - from our viewpoint - are the worst pieces of crap ever to hit the electronics industry. The failure rate is astronomical - at least the ones in Panasonic and Sony. We use the Panasonic 'FK' or 'HD' series as replacements.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I couldn't agree more. They have a dreadful reputation are aren't even cheap. Give me through-hole any day for non size critical applications. They don't actually take up any more room if you get the miniature ones.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore