How to identify component on Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard?

Short Story

I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard. I believe that there is a chip/component that was damaged. The package is damaged, so I can't read all the codes. I have photos of the partial code and location of the component:

Long Story

My wife plugged a old Compaq power supply into her Dell Insipron 5100 (insert square peg in a round hole joke here) by accident. She noticed a burning smell and unplugged it right away. The laptop still worked running off the battery but would not work with only the AC adaptor or with a dead battery and it won't charge the battery anymore. Dell wants $399 for a new motherboard and I have to install it myself or hire someone. I figure I can't loose much trying to fix it or jerry-rig an AC adaptor to work through the batter connector.

I took the motherboard out and noticed that there is small chip-like component that looks fried. I can't make out all the codes on it so I am trying to figure out what the part codes are so I can try and order a new one and solder it on.

I have some photos on my web site of the component and it's position on the motherboard. If anyone can identify the part or has any ideas on how I can get more information to identify it myself, please let me know.

Photos:

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

I havent particularly worked on an inspiron motherboard, but I have repaired several dead motherboards in the lattitude series. One thing I can tell you, it IS a power transistor in an IC package. either an NPN or a PNP type. chances are, when you test that transistor with a diode check of a DMM, youll prolly get a short between all the pins, in which case the light will immidiatly go out when you plug in the power adapter.

Anyway, the chip is most likely a regulator transistor. im not sure which type, its either an NPN or a PNP. it could also be a voltage regulator IC, but i doubt it.

Your best bet is to find another inspiron motherboard with a different problem from ebay, and pulling the chip off of that board. like I did with lattitude cpi's.

numbers arnt going to help you, as its most likely a factory code.

Reply to
Mike

only thing I can make out, it looks to be a LM393, which is a dual comparator.

oops. I was talking about that chip down to the left corner, which is a transistor.

repaired

you,

will

Reply to