Help ID'ing and replacing component?

I've gotten myself into a spot of trouble, and would appreciate some help with it.

This is a Bolun WR-601 wireless microphone, specifically the receiver for that system, which is powered by a single AAA alkaline battery. Current is 52 ma. with a new battery. The system transmits at about 116 MHz.

I am changing the output connector of the receiver from a

1/4" phone plug (not all that useful anymore) to a 1/8" socket, and that required cutting a notch in the PC board, which in turn required moving a couple components. While desoldering and resoldering one component, one lead pulled out of it, so I need to replace this component with something.

It is light green, and looks pretty much like a 1/4W resistor. It is the only component connecting the positive terminal of the battery to the On/Off switch.

The color bands are orange, orange, gold, silver. So that would be either a 3.3-ohm resistor, or a 3.3 uH inductor.

I broke it apart, and it is indeed made of very fine copper wire wound on a core of non-conductive black stuff.

Markings on the board are not all that helpful, but near enough to possibly apply, but not necessarily, is something that *might* read "L1".

Well, I'm leaning pretty hard toward it being an inductor, probably to filter out any RF stuff that might be picked up around the battery. And I can't think of a good reason to have a 3.3-ohm resistor in that position. But I just wanted to see if that makes sense to people who, unlike me, know what they're doing.

If it is an inductor, I also need to know what I can get away with as a replacement. I assume a jumper wire *might* work well enough, but I also happen to have an inductor with color bands blue, gold, grey, silver that came in a R/S coil assortment. I have a dim memory of there being a slightly modified color band scheme where the gold band acts like a decimal point. If that's right, then this would be 6.8 uH, which is only about double the original. In fact, I have two of those, if that helps, so I could parallel them and end up really close.

Well, I would appreciate some expert thoughts about this. If it sounds like it's an inductor, the question is how close the replacement needs to be. Am I right about the value of the R/S inductors? If not, could I just make the right coil myself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

By the way, for anyone interested, I got this system on Ebay for $12.48 including shipping from Hong Kong. It actually works. You get the lapel mic, the transmitter, and the receiver, but no batteries. Works up to 20M away. Uses FM. Not exactly hi-fi, but seems good enough for voice. It's available from several sellers. The one I bought from was:

George

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:26:09 -0600, George put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's probably a 3.3uH inductor. I can buy a bag of 5 for AU$1.20.

A 3.3 ohm resistor would drop 0.17V at 52mA which is a significant loss for a 1.5V battery supply.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar