F-plug need to be fully tightened?

Yes, as such "films" are typically similar in electrical characteristics to resistor mediums. Which means loss.

The other problem is that such "layers" between a true metal to metal contact makes for a very noisy electron stream, as well as the losses presented by the higher resistance.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Tightening doesn't seal out air. The threads simply do not mate that well. It does guarantee good electrical contact PRIOR to any oxidation formation, however, which could mean years of good service.

Most cable companies now have/use fitting that incorporate a neoprene o-ring in the base of the fitting's "cup".

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Michael, I'll see you tunerlube and raise you a Molykoat (s)

However in this application any oil, grease, or any other gunk will attract dust on both the jack and the plug when they are apart. the resultant sludge will necessitate cleaning both ends (then we can argue about the best cleaning solution)

I am not on a mission or crusade or anything. I use cleaners, sealers, etc. as needed and have for years. My favorite is Caig de-oxit.

Even outdoors for most instillations I find little use for chemicals on F connectors. Usually tape and a Skotchcoat are sufficient for many years of faithful service.

Large connectors the story is a bit different. The O-rings on conduit and coax transmission line should be coated with the silicon paste, usually supplied with new parts or replacement kits.

In any even I think we have beaten the subject to death.

My recommendation to the Op is get a 4" (100 mm) crescent wrench and place it on your key ring. It will then be handy for all occasions. Snug the connector down and enjoy your high speed access.

Reply to
Tim Perry

The tunerlube was recommended by the manufacturers back in the '70s & '80s. We only used it in areas with a lot of salt air that quickly corroded the connectors. The line taps were shipped with plastic boots with a thin film of it to seal the threads. When you have over 10,000 outdoor ports, you can't be taking the system down constantly to replace damaged port connectors.

That is what shop rags were used for. Extra grease when a customer was disconnected, and wipe it off when reconnected.

Try that on a busy highway that got salted every time there was much snow, or anywhere close to any coastline on either ocean.

The .412", .500", .750" & 1.00" hardline connectors all had o-rings to keep water out of the amplifier housings, splice blocks, power inserters and tap housings, but not to protect the threads. Tunerlube was MUCH easier to clean up than the gelled underground drop cable.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tighten the nut enough and you will have contact. Cable companies tighten the piss out of 'em to get a good RF seal.

Likely to keep moisture out.

--
Keith
Reply to

attract

best

etc.

of

My outdoor applications mostly involve satellite dishes. I have a couple adjacent to the NY throughway. One uses RG 11. Installed for 5 years and no hint of problems. Most problem I have are with the small offset dishes where the weather dome points down, drain holes get plugged and it fills with water.

and

I use up to 3 1/8" coax with close to 30 kW passing through it. the lines are pressurized to keep moisture out. The o-rings help keep air or nitrogen in. Bullets (connectors) are silver plated and are inserted into copper inner conductors with no chemical additives. The outer conductor (EIA flange) is connected with bolts. I do use Vaseline on these threads as it makes removal in the future easier.

Reply to
Tim Perry

We used some large heliax on commercial 5 meter sat dishes that was pressurized. I also worked with 195 kW UHF TV transmitter with large rectangular waveguide from the diplexer to the antenna on a 1749' AAT tower that was pressurized. We developed a slow leak that caused severe sync compression. It turned out to be an 18" long crack in one of the corner welds, above the 1400 foot level.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Agreed. In terms of leakage, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its worse than that: silver oxide over brass makes a fairly decent rectifier. You can add harmonics that weren't there.

In my particular hoibby - Radio controlled aircraft - it even has a name

- the rusty fence syndrome. Rusty fences do strange things to shortwaves. You get all sorts of intermodulation effects with a rusty fence: makes quite a good mixer.

That's less releavant at RF..unless its wobbling in the breeze.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats why you use it only on seldomn aken apart couplings in adverse environments.

Not inside on e.g. test gear.

Agreed.

Agreed.

good idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used to use Scotch 23 self-vulcanizing tape for plug sealing. Disadvantage - unscrewing the plug would entail cutting it free from rubber mass. Otherwise they were seals for life, also UV proof. Great tape to weatherproof lots of stuff and cabling.

--
 - Blarp the Enigmatic
Reply to

I am having trouble finding the General Electric product.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Yes...

Just so you know, however... PURE Silver oxide is the best conducting compound on the planet. Note that I did not say "element".

Not the stuff that puts the patina on your plated surfaces... the "pharmaceutical grade" media. :-]

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

It is the same thing as "shot noise". electrons banging into things along their path.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Which General Electric product?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It was/is a huge toothpaste style tube of nearly clear compound for dressing RF fittings... Specifically for that purpose.

I think it has been in use in some military circles for about four decades.

Notice that the branches *still* keep "things" from each other.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Shot noise is merely the noise inherent in a current because its made up of discrete units of charge.

Got nothing to do with connectors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like silicone grease.

A useful non conductive non degradeable sort of product..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shot noise is that which is generated by a very simple thing, known as friction, and it is inherent in ANY medium which electrons pass through, including conductors.

It just happens to be far more prevalent in bulk mediums, like the old carbon comp resistance mediums. It has more to do with imperfect crystal lattices than anything else.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Why not educte yourself befre opening your mouth?

It has nothing to do with any of that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher