Which to plug in first?

This is a general question about all those plug-in power-supplies/battery-rechargers that we all have so many of. The kind that have a big plug/transformer at one end that plugs into the wall, and a plug that plugs into a low-voltage electronic device at the other end.

The question is (in general): Which is better practice: 1) Plug the big plug into the wall socket, then plug the little plug into the device? 2) The other way around - plug it into the device first, then into the wall?

Or doesn't it matter? I would assume that in the vast majority of cases, it doesn't matter, but that it might matter in some. Incidentally, I have an old USB 1.0 hub from Radio Shack, the instructions to which explicitly said that one should always do it in the way of #2 above.

Reply to
Kenny McCormack

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd expect that it should practically never matter.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

In article , Don Bruder wrote: ...

Agreed. But as I alluded to, the only reason I'm bringing this up at all is because of that one device (an old USB hub) - where they recommended that you plug it into the wall last. I'm confident that this is mostly superstitious learning - I've certainly never blown anything out by doing it one way or the other.

It seems to me that if there's any story here at all, it would be in the opposite direction. That is, that when you first plug it into the wall, there might be a voltage surge on the other end; this would argue for plugging it into the wall first, letting it settle down, then plugging in the device.

But of course, I don't know...

Reply to
Kenny McCormack

Some power supplies need a minimum load to regulate the output voltage properly.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

In article , Michael A. Terrell wrote: ...

Good point.

And this leads into a story about the weirdest power supply I've ever seen. I recently bought a replacement power supply for one of my laptops, from an online dealer. It was advertised as a "universal" power supply, with a series of plugs that would fit any popular type of laptop (with various voltages). It was also cheap ($28). Short story is: it ended up not working and I returned it. But the instructions that came with it read something like this (written in barely-comprehensible pidgen English):

1) Do not "just plug in and go" (like a normal power supply). 2) Plug the power supply into the wall for 10 minutes. 3) Unplug it, then find the right adapter plug for your laptop. Connect that into the power supply. 4) Plug the power supply into the wall for 5 minutes. 5) If everything looks good [???], unplug it from the wall. Plug the adapter plug into your laptop, then plug the power supply into the wall.

Strange. What's going on with the 10 minute and 5 minute delays?

Reply to
Kenny McCormack

Smoke test performed by end user because there's no QC at the factory?

Reply to
IanM

If true, then USB 1.0 Standards was violated. USB must operate with USB powered first, then any or all peripherals connected later. Same for those other power connections.

If 'order of power' makes a difference, then you have a defective component. Some of those directions sound as if written by the language arts major; not by those who knew how the equipment works. Then purchased and imported by a purchasing agent who was just as technically naive.

Reply to
westom1

Eh? The OP had a device which he had to turn on its power unit first. How does this relate to the USB connection?

A New York man was forced to take a day off from work to appear for a minor traffic summons. He grew increasingly restless as he waited hour after endless hour for his case to be heard. When his name was called late in the afternoon, he stood before the judge, only to hear that court would be adjourned for the next day and he would have to return the next day. "What for?" he snapped at the judge. His honor, equally irked by a tedious day and sharp query roared, "Twenty dollars contempt of court. That's why!" Then, noticing the man checking his wallet, the judge relented. "That's all right. You don't have to pay now." The young man replied, "I'm just seeing if I have enough for two more words."

Reply to
Peter Hucker

=A0How does this relate to the USB connection?

The OP was discussing how to power on a USB 1.0 interface. Meanwhile, the reply addressed both USB 1.0 and other type interfaces. What were you reading?

Reply to
westom1

does this relate to the USB connection?

This:

Incidentally, I have an old USB 1.0 hub from Radio Shack, the instructions to which explicitly said that one should always do it in the way of #2 above.

He is referring to plugging the USB hub's power supply into the mains first, or the same supply into the hub first.

Whichever way round he does it, the hub will be powered up before he then connects a third thing - a USB device or the computer.

Anyway, if the power is switched off at the mains or there is a powercut, the power supply will be in the hub before the mains is activated, so everything must be able to handle this method, or things would be breaking all the time.

There was an old priest who got sick of all the people in his parish who kept confessing to adultery. One Sunday, in the pulpit, he said, "If I hear one more person confess to adultery, I'll quit!" Everyone liked him, so they came up with a code word. Someone who had committed adultery would say instead that they had "fallen." This seemed to satisfy the old priest and things went well until the priest passed away at a ripe old age. A few days after the new priest arrived, he visited the mayor of the town and seemed very concerned. "Mayor, you have to do something about the sidewalks in town. When people come into the confessional, they keep telling me they've fallen." The mayor started to laugh, realizing that no one had told the new priest about the code word. But, before he could explain, the priest shook an accusing finger at him and shouted, "I don't know what you're laughing about, because your wife has already fallen three times this week!"

Reply to
Peter Hucker

I bought an Acer laptop about 8 months ago and could have sworn I'd seen in the owners manual book somewhere about a protocol for plugging the power cord in, just as you describe: either plug it into the wall first; or plug it into the laptop BEFORE plugging it into the wall. When I went back to the book to see which it said, I couldn't find it, and that's always bothered me. So I'm glad you asked that question (although so far I'm still a little confused)! :-))

Reply to
James Goforth

If it's designed properly, it doesn't matter. If it's designed badly, it goes bang then you take it back for a refund.

These are genuine clips from British Council flat tenants complaining to the Council about problems with their flats:

  • My bush is really overgrown round the front and my back passage has fungus growing in it.
  • He's got this huge tool that vibrates the whole house and I just can't take it anymore.
  • It's the dogs' mess that I find hard to swallow.
  • I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off.
  • I wish to complain that my father hurt his ankle very badly when he put his foot in the hole in his back passage.
  • And their 18 year old son is continually banging his balls against my fence.
  • I wish to report that tiles are missing from the outside toilet roof. I think it was bad wind the other night that blew them off.
  • My lavatory seat is cracked, where do I stand?
  • I am writing on behalf of my sink, which is coming away from the wall.
  • Will you please send someone to mend the garden path. My wife tripped and fell on it yesterday and now she is pregnant.
  • I request permission to remove my drawers in the kitchen
  • 50% of the walls are damp, 50% have crumbling plaster and 50% are plain filthy.
  • I am still having problems with smoke in my new drawers.
  • The toilet is blocked and we cannot bath the children until it is cleared.
  • Will you please send a man to look at my water, it is a funny colour and not fit to drink.
  • Our lavatory seat is broken in half and is now in three pieces.
  • I want to complain about the farmer across the road; every morning at 6am his c*ck wakes me up and it's now getting too much for me.
  • The man next door has a large erection in the back garden, which is unsightly and dangerous.
  • Our kitchen floor is damp. We have two children and would like a third so please send someone round to do something about it.
  • I am a single woman living in a downstairs flat and would you please do something about the noise made by the man on top of me every night.
  • Please send a man with the right tool to finish the job and satisfy my wife.
  • I have had the clerk of works down on the floor six times but I still have no satisfaction.
  • This is to let you know that our lavatory seat is broke and we can't get BBC2
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Smoke detector response time.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

My smoke detectors can detect steam from my steam cleaner in about 0.2 seconds. I wish they'd develop clever ones that could distinguish....

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodney
Dangerfield.
Reply to
Peter Hucker