Ebay Newbie Made Life Tougher for Ebayer

Thread was getting a bit long...

We have six or seven Leeds & Northrup items, they made some fine equipment. Most of ours are Cambridge Instruments or Pye, and probably all of these originated in the same area of Cambridge in the UK where both companies were based. There were a group of companies in the UK who manufactured such equipment, mostly now extinct.

Probably the pinnacle of their manufacturing were the big Torsion Wattmeters, one of which we picked up a while back as part of a pair on ebay. They are truly lovely pieces of kit. One went on ebay last week:

Always strikes me as 'funny' how some items take on a value which is disproportionate to their use, while others always seem to go for pennies, almost! Peter

Prepair Ltd

Snip

That's a truly lovely piece of art and if I were independently wealthy I might be so inclined to bid on such.

Reply to
c a l a n d e

surpasses

influence

his

old

Like I said, supply vs demand, makes all the difference.

That's a nice piece of workmanship. It needs to be shipped inside a foot of foam rubber, so that things like the thermometer and galvos don't get broken. Hopefully it has lockdowns so that it can be transported. Things like that really do belong in a museum.

I like to watch Antiques Roadshow (both English and U.S. versions). It's a shame that seldom do these electrical and electronic devices get shown on the shows.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Looked like a steal to me, ohly 200 Pounds, or somewhat under $400. I'd expect it to be worth more than that, even with a broken spring.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

We picked up two of these for around £65 each last year in the wilds of Scotland, a friend had one and I had the other. Both came with a resistance box as well, so quite a nice deal! Their location and the need for collection made them unattractive to most bidders who are in the south of the UK.

The spring that breaks is a common problem apparently, mine is also broken. There are no transit locks for the movement that we could find, and it is a fairly fragile piece of heat-treated wire.

I'll get around to trying a repair sometime, but it is a very nice thing to view, if a little large.

The bidder for the one referenced was in Europe, probably Italy.

Peter

Peter A Forbes