extend life

Is it better for the life of the electronics, HDD bearing, and/or monitor to turn all off or put into standby if I will not be using pc over night?

tks, paul

Reply to
Paul

if you go to bed, put also your PC to sleep (turn it off...)! :-)

--
                  Regards ,  SPAJKY ®
   mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

You had to know the follow up question:

If I will not be using it for four hours.....

What about two hours?

If only two hours should I even put it in standby?

Paul

Why not? I do it regurarly if I do not intend to use it more than an hour; during the day, mine is in suspend about more than half time .. (18h on, 12h in suspend approx, ready to be used ...)

--
                  Regards ,  SPAJKY ®
   mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spajky

its a trade off, right? The power down and power up put stress on the monitor.

Paul

Don't worry about it either way. I turn my computer on first thing in the morning and off at bedtime. At work we have some that have been running

24/7 for 4 years.

It should be outdated before you would notice any effect either way. Just think of the monitor the same way you do of your TV set and treat it the same.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Who says that I am treating my TV properly? If I might be watching it again in under 4 hours, I just leave it on, thinking that that is better for the TV electronics.

Paul