Datasheet for Zilog Z8047BB1 DART

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get info on this IC?

Thanks,

Matthew

Reply to
bonzer

I have the databook (Mostek 1984/1985) containing the Z80 SIO (aka MK3884/3885/3887 - there are 3 slightly different pinouts as there were 41 signals to fit into a 40-pin package). If you can't find it on the web somewhere then I could be persuaded to scan it for you (15 pages). I worked with this chip a long time ago, and I think there was a bigger book too devoted to the SIO with more details of function of every register bit, though the spec I have here is probably adequate (especially for async only).

The Z80 DART (Dual Async Receiver/Transmitter) was a version of the Z80 SIO (Serial IO) chip. It appeared to be how they labelled ones where the synchronous features didn't work (so they could sell off some of the parts that failed test as SIOs).

Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I already have a datasheet for the Z80 SIO 8440. Would that be a similar match for the DART or would your datasheet be nearer the mark?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Reply to
bonzer

I don't have the mapping from Zilog numbers to Mostek ones, so 8440 means little to me, however I believe that if you already have the SIO datasheet then you effectively have the DART datasheet. As far as I recall, the DART datasheet (a single page?) just said something like "The DART is a reduced function version of the SIO in which only async modes are supported."

Does your SIO datasheet explain the three different pinouts available? The only remaining question I think is which of the three SIO pinout options was used for the DART. The difference lies in the port B signals, one pinout omitted SYNCB, one omitted DTRB, the third connected TxCB and RxCB to the same pin. I'm 100% sure DTRB was implemented on the DART, so it chose either to omit SYNCB or share the clocks. So it's either 29=RxDB 28=RxCB 27=TxCB or 29=SYNCB 28=RxDB 27=RxTxCB.

How long is your SIO datasheet? Is it sufficient for your needs?

Regards, Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

bonzer schrieb:

The SIO/0 is "most" compatible with the DART - except that the SYNC pins of the SIO are RI inputs at the DART. Take care that also all those registers and bits for synchronous operation are officially missing in the DART (don't know if they are there, however).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

In the past I have plugged a DART in place of an SIO, and used it successfully for sync (SDLC) communications. Hence at least some parts marked DART contain the full logic of an SIO, give or take a few manufacturing defects. They also used to market the SIO/9, in which only channel A worked.

Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

The datasheet does give the different pinouts for each version of the SIO ie. SIO/0, SIO/1, SIO/2. It runs to about 20 pages and does seem to cover what I need to know. I also have a book that explains programming the Z8530 SCC which looks like it has some similarities to the SIO ic.

Thanks,

Matthew

Reply to
bonzer