Why not use dimmer with light flashing device?

This device which you insert between the lampholder and bulb, switches the bulb on & off at random when it gets dark.

I guess the device must contain some basic electronics.

------------

The full instructions says not to use this in a circuit which contains a dimmer but why is this?

(1) Would the problem be that the dimmer and/or this device get damaged?

(2) Alternatively, would the problem be simply be that the unit does not function properly when the voltage (er, current?) is reduced by the dimmer.

Reply to
JS

2 for certain and probably also 1.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

Basically yes - and that it might not let the dimmer function even when set to 'full'. It's not very likely to cause actual damage - though not totally impossible.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Ian Stirling writes

Given that many of the simple lighting control circuits use a capacitive dropper to derive the low voltage supply for the control circuitry, I guess that the worst case scenario is going to be at half intensity where the dimmer is switching repeatedly on the peak mains voltage. Each time it did this would cause a high inrush to the capacitor and could damage the inline surge limiting resistor.

--
Clive Mitchell
http:/www.bigclive.com